Author Topic: Dampening 60 Hz hum from dimmer  (Read 3888 times)

rokyu

Dampening 60 Hz hum from dimmer
« on: September 01, 2005, 08:30:57 AM »
I have a lutron dimmer and I hear a 60 Hz buzz that is driving me nuts. I've replaced the light bulbs that were buzzing and now the only thing left  buzzing is an electrical box (transformer?) in the ceiling.

Anyone have a recommendation on covering or otherwise treating the box to dampen the buzz? The box itself is about 2"x4"x4" and I have access to it - it's above my suspended ceiling.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

homerj

Re: Dampening 60 Hz hum from dimmer
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 08:58:31 PM »
So the buzzing is not from the Lutron if I understand correctly but from a (I guess) transformer? I would not advise enclosing the transformer because it would overheat but you caould try to put some soundproofing or damping material on the joist and then screwing on the transformer to minimize the vibration transfer.

rokyu

Re: Dampening 60 Hz hum from dimmer
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 11:43:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

After some discussion with some local lighting people, I came to the conclusion that I should just replace the entire recessed lighting fixture w/ transformer. It seems that transformers often break down and start buzzing after 5-6 years.

It took me a bit to figure out how to remove the existing fixture, but it was worth it.

anything