Author Topic: Soundproof outdoor AC with shed?  (Read 5178 times)

daddiop3

Soundproof outdoor AC with shed?
« on: September 17, 2005, 09:32:33 PM »
I recently had an Alligiance 11 a/c compressor installed. It ended up directly under our second floor bedroom window in a corner. Its somewhat noisey (my wife says VERY noisy).

I am thinking of building a small shed with 4' x 6' roof, and lattice work sides and open front. I'd use your 2" cell foam along the inside of the shed roof and the house walls. My hope is this will keep the noise from going up to our window.

Question - the fan blows directly up. The shed roof will be about 42" over the top of the compressor. a) will this allow for enough ventilation and b) will it help the noise?

Thanks!

Paul

Compressor: http://www.americanstandard-air.com/Products.asp?Section=homeOwners&ProductID=10&CategoryID=16&SuperCategoryID=1

supersoundproofing

Re: Soundproof outdoor AC with shed?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 04:10:23 PM »
The trick is to make the airflow do a turn or two- this will block some of the sound.  Make a sheetmetal cover for the thing open on one side facing away from your house.  Line with absorbant foam, (1" thick will do, attached with contact cement).  See the table at
http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html  for prices.  

This will blow the air out to the side, away from you and taking the sound with it.  The foam adds to the absorption factor.  A barrier fence can be constructed to add to the sound blocking of the unit, if need be.

BJ Nash

daddiop3

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 12:31:33 AM »
Thanks. I plan to work on this over the coming couple of weeks. I'll let people know how it goes.

isakdine

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 06:03:44 AM »
Does non-insulated wood around an outdoor a/c unit increase the sound?  What can be placed around an outdoor central air unit to decrease sound and enhance the appearance of a central air unit.  There are two units that sound off in shifts most of the time.  Does something need to be placed between them?
Thanks.

daddiop3

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 01:14:50 AM »
I did the original post.

Since then I built a small shed over the unit, using the suggested 1" foam.

This seems to have made a big difference. Much quieter in the second floor BR and the adjacent kitchen.

We'll see what happens when the weather gets steamy!

I'd post a picture, but cannot figure out how! Any help?

Paul

anything