Author Topic: Blocking "knocking" sounds  (Read 3616 times)

Noam

Blocking "knocking" sounds
« on: September 22, 2005, 09:23:10 PM »
Hi,

The main problem we have, is that we have a joint house with one joint wall between the two houses. Our neighbours have their kitchen up against our living room wall, which means that every time they shut a closet door (of the kitchen) or even wash the dishes the sound vibrates in our house. We have a similar problem with the staircase (marble) which is connected to our joint wall. Whenever they go up or down bare foot, or with heel shoes - the noise vibrates throughout the house.

Please note that the problem is not the air-carried noise, but rather any "knocking" sound on one wall which penetrates the other side.

We tried putting up dry wall with some acoustic sound thingy, but all that did was make the sounds sound more like bass "booms" (still VERY annoying)

What can we do? we are really frustrated.  :'(

Thanks,
Noam

mlc

Re: Blocking "knocking" sounds
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 04:39:34 AM »
I'm having kind of a similar problem—I live in a studio in NYC and can feel the vibrations of neighbors when I'm in bed. The noise isn't so much the problem as the vibrations jolting me awake from the movement. I have a low bed frame with mattress all on a thick jute rug. Should I get pads for under the feet of the bed? I'm pretty desperate as I haven't slept much since I moved in...

supersoundproofing

• Administrator
  • I love Super Soundproofing!
    • Super Soundproofing Co
Re: Blocking "knocking" sounds
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 10:36:59 PM »
Probably a floating wall with channel or sound clips would do it- see http://www.soundproofing.org/options_in_sound_isolation.htm

bj nash
Super Soundproofing Co
www.soundproofing.org