Author Topic: carpet padding question  (Read 5897 times)

shatooka

carpet padding question
« on: August 02, 2005, 12:01:40 AM »
i live in an older building in manhattan.  the footsteps (impact sound) from above are very bothersome, even with (thin) carpeting.  the owner of the unit upstairs is willing to install sophisticated padding under the carpets to help remedy the situation.

what is the best approach here?  i have read about vinyl/foam composites, as well as the dimpled product listed on this site.  he is willing to put up to one inch of padding underneath the rugs.  would one product/layer solve the problem or should i be considering a combination?

thanks for any help you can offer!!!  

supersoundproofing

• Administrator
  • I love Super Soundproofing!
    • Super Soundproofing Co
Re: carpet padding question
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 03:53:09 PM »
Best to use the impact reducing "Dimple Pad" as mentioned:
Now, a brand new product for reducing impact noise for under hardwood and tile floors!:  SUPER-SEAL: "Sub-Floor +"  At last!  A dimpled product that reduces impact noise created by walking on hardwood or tile floors. It's just 3/8" thick, comes in rolls 6'6" wide.  Just $1.85 per sq. ft. (You'll need MLV too if there is an issue with airborne noise).  

Read more at: http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm

BJ Nash
Super Soundproofing Co
Super Soundproofing Co
www.soundproofing.org

AHopkinson

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 09:40:53 PM »
Your response to the question of padding the carpet included info on reducing inpact noise under wood/tile.  How is that product installed?  Does one remove the wood/tile to install it?  Or does the "Sub-Floor +" product get installed in the lower apartment's ceiling?  How?

Best to use the impact reducing "Dimple Pad" as mentioned:
Now, a brand new product for reducing impact noise for under hardwood and tile floors!:  SUPER-SEAL: "Sub-Floor +"  At last!  A dimpled product that reduces impact noise created by walking on hardwood or tile floors. It's just 3/8" thick, comes in rolls 6'6" wide.  Just $1.85 per sq. ft. (You'll need MLV too if there is an issue with airborne noise).  

Read more at: http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm

BJ Nash
Super Soundproofing Co

supersoundproofing

• Administrator
  • I love Super Soundproofing!
    • Super Soundproofing Co
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 09:03:36 PM »
It's installed on the plywood subfloor, under the new floor to provide impact absorbion as created by walking.

BJ Nash
Super Soundproofing Co
www.soundproofing.org

gargamel

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 09:03:38 PM »
can this product be installed on top of a finished floor, under carpeting?  if so, what other materials, if any, are required?  i am confused!  thanks.

agtrojan

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 03:38:48 PM »
You can install MLV with closed cell foam over a finished floor before you install your carpet pad and carpet.

The MLV with closed cell foam is installed wall-to-wall with a small gap around the perimeter of the room not to exceed 1/4".  Tape the seams of the MLV and apply acoustical caulk around the perimeter to fill the gap.  Then proceed with the installation of your carpet as usual.  Yes, the tack strip is installed over the MLV.

Click to view the spec for the MLV with Closed Cell:

http://www.soundproofing.org/brochures/mass_loaded_vinyl.htm