Author Topic: Apartment Noise removable solution  (Read 5635 times)

chicagoNoise

Apartment Noise removable solution
« on: September 26, 2005, 06:27:31 AM »
Hi,

I am an apartment dweller whose bedroom shares a wall with a neighbor's bedroom.  The walls are transmitting entirely too much sound, and most of it seems to be in the form of a low-frequency, bass "thump."  The neighbors are actually only watching TV, not playing loud music, but I don't hear voices, only bass-type vibrations.  

I am in a position, as a renter, of only making completely removable soundproofing improvements.  Is an MLV applied to the outside of the wall the best solution (I don't care what it looks like).  If so, what thickness/weight would I need to ensure that moderate low-frequency TV noise would be taken care of?  If you can point me to the correct product/solution, I would really like to order it ASAP to get this done with.  Thanks much!

supersoundproofing

• Administrator
  • I love Super Soundproofing!
    • Super Soundproofing Co
Re: Apartment Noise removable solution
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 10:34:05 PM »
The answer is MLV- probaly several layers.  See [url]http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm
[url]

BJ Nash
Super Soundproofing Co
www.soundproofing.org

Monique

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 04:53:09 AM »
I am in the same situation only I hear EVERYTHING from the bachelor beside my bedroom.  The lady blows her nose and I am awake, she yaks on the phone and I am awake and she yaks on the phone from early am to late night and I am a shift worker.  I live in Canada and am not sure what is available to me.  I am pretty handy and am confident I could install nearly anything but cost wise I am not rich and would like something I can take with me but that will allow me to have a decent night sleep without having to listen to the old bags conversations.

controlfreq

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 07:01:41 AM »
First, I'd like to thank BJ for bringing this forum online, enabling me to realize that I am not alone.  Since I moved into my apartment with a paper-thin ceiling it seems, I have spent much time looking for solutions and this forum has been the best place to locate information that pertains specifically to a problem that many of us have.  That is:  We are all looking to stop the noise and to keep our sounds out of our neighbors' ears.  

I just finished painting the ceiling of my bedroom with acoustical paint, which did nothing noticible.  However, that was only phase I.   In Phase II I intend to install a suspension ceiliing with MLV secured above it but not attached to the existing drywall.  Since MLV at 1/8" thick weighs 1 lb per square foot, the tracks for a suspension ceiling should hold that up nicely since Armstrong maintains that it can hold up to 26 lbs. per sqare foot.  However if a double layer of MLV will work and I can somehow get it to line my ceiling without any difficulty, I will focus on that as the solution.  One thing is certain, I should not have to feel like I am living with my neighbor and I cannot feel so disturbed about living in my own space.   My space must be mine.  But because I don't own the space where I live, I need a solution that I can disassemble and transport to another location.  It would be great if someone would invent blocks that could be assembled into place and removed just as easily.  The construction of today's rental unit is of poor quality unless the building is built to condo specs.  Thus, I can always reuse a soundproofing solution. ;)

agtrojan

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 03:33:29 PM »
There is a way to assemble your own sound blocking curtain using MLV or MLV with Closed Cell foam.

Here is what you do:

Buy a grommett kit from your local Home Depot.

Install 4 grommetts equally spaced across the top of a 4' or 4.5' wide sheet of MLV that is equal in length to the height of your wall.

Install heavy-duty screws or picture hangers with a load capacity between 20-30 lbs each.  The spacing must equal the spacing of the grommetts.

Hang your soundproof curtain over your wall and voila...enjoy the sound reduction.

Now then, if you're adventureous enough to take the next step then conisder adding two layers of the MLV.  If you do make sure you stagger the wall mounts to overlap the MLV.

Using the MLV with closed cell foam will further enhance the quality of the soundproof curtain since the closed cell foam will dampen vibration from the wall.  Place the closed cell foam against the wall and the MLV towards your room.

Check out the MLV spec:

http://www.soundproofing.org/brochures/mass_loaded_vinyl.htm