Author Topic: basement sounds proofing  (Read 4563 times)

Brett Moore

basement sounds proofing
« on: October 04, 2005, 08:34:37 PM »
I am finishing my basement and had some questions about soundproofing.   Since my basment is only about 7'6" tall, I have choosen to leave the mainfloor joists exposed and will be painting them (and all the exposed plumbing, electrical, etc.) a flat black.  This allows me to recess my lighting up between the joist and gives the expression the headroom is greater than it actually is -- I know this because I've seen this done in other basements.  My concern is that my mainfloor above my finished basement consists of (real 3/4") hardwood and ceramic tile flooring.  I want to try to minimize the sound transmission, heard in the basement, from people walking upstairs.  My thought is to use a dynamat-like material and cover the plywood area between the joists, but I wanted a second opinion.  Since we're talking like 800+ sq. ft. or area, I am also looking for something that is cost effective enough that I can afford to even do it.  Any advice would be appreciated!

drewI

Re: basement sounds proofing
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 12:08:26 PM »
WOW! didn't think there was anyone out there w/ the same issue! But i'm going to drywall the celing. i'll spend what ever to take care of the sound issue. Most of the sound will be coming from the basement(ent room). there will be alot of bass and music comeing from the basement so it would be nice not to wake up the rest of the house when a good basement party is underway!

Brett

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 04:51:45 PM »
You didn't read my post very well if you think we have the same challenge.  ::)  I'm not drywalling my ceiling like you!  Since you're doing that, all you need to do the pack that void with regular fiberglass insulation.  Since mine is being left exposed (and is just being painted black) I'm having a difficult time findung a cost-effective product to dampen the noise.  I did locate some fiberglass board stuff that might do work, but the stuff runs $33 for a 4x10ft sheet!  So I'd be looking at $600+ to get my basement done -- and that is too costly for something that isn't certain to work.

Grave

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 05:00:48 PM »
I'm doing a 9'x9' "computer gaming room". I have floor jouists in the ceiling (but a childs room is right above). I'm going to insulate the ceiling and walls. I'm doing daul 5/8" sheetrock and also applying the green tape to all studs. I was going to use the drywall furring channels but with the cost and 5' lengths I'm going to skip it. I have also bought some sound "proof" paint ($150 5/gallons!). If all this fails then I will add additional sound "proof" material. I'm just trying to do this CHEAP! Dual sheetrock is CHEAP. I'm also going to tape/caulk the 1st layers of sheetrock.

I'll post back how it works!

anything