Author Topic: Installing Papered Fiberglass Wool as Sound Barrier  (Read 4230 times)

dude

Installing Papered Fiberglass Wool as Sound Barrier
« on: December 17, 2000, 03:41:20 AM »
My goal is to reduce noise from the interior of the room to the exterior of the walls (keep neighbors happy).
Does papered or nonpapered fiberglass wool inside my walls produce a better STC?
If papered, should I place paper toward external wall, or toward interior?
The tables I've read show papered has higher sabin rating. My own simple tests with a ghetto blaster and a piece of insulation reveal papered has higher STC and is best when paper faces sound source  (interior).
Any advice is appreciated.

bjnash

Re: Installing Papered Fiberglass Wool as Sound Barrier
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2000, 04:25:57 AM »
: My goal is to reduce noise from the interior of the room to the exterior of the walls (keep neighbors happy).
: Does papered or nonpapered fiberglass wool inside my walls produce a better STC?
: If papered, should I place paper toward external wall, or toward interior?
: The tables I've read show papered has higher sabin rating. My own simple tests with a ghetto blaster and a piece of insulation reveal papered has higher STC and is best when paper faces sound source  (interior).
: Any advice is appreciated.
Generally, the hype from the fiberglass industry has favored this basically thermal insulation.  It has little acoustical properties.  
There is a cost/benefit ratio involved which goes something like this: putting in fiberglas will result in a (Possibly) barely detectable sound reduction.  Material cost=low  labor=x  Professional soundproofing materialsd cost= medium to high  labor=still x, but desired results: YES.
If you are in the 1st category, you'll be calling, like a lot of folks, to ask what to do next, (what you should have done first!).

dude

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2000, 06:14:20 AM »
Specs based on research I've seen indicate 10db loss which can mean 1/2 the volume. Isn't that worth 10db while you get the benefit of the thermal R-value?

bjnash

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2000, 03:29:23 AM »
: Specs based on research I've seen indicate 10db loss which can mean 1/2 the volume. Isn't that worth 10db while you get the benefit of the thermal R-value?
It takes a 50% reduction of volume to be detectable to the human ear. (6db) This means to be barely detectable, the noise has to be reduced by 50% through your fiberglass insulation.  I suggest a barely detectable sound reduction is NOT what one is looking for!