Author Topic: My upstairs neighbor is complaining about the noise  (Read 3778 times)

Nissim

My upstairs neighbor is complaining about the noise
« on: March 20, 2001, 10:01:23 PM »
Hi, I have a music studio in my apartment, and I'm a dj.  My neighbor upstairs complains that the music is too loud.  I wonder what I need to do to reduce the transmission of noise to his apartment.  If I cover the ceiling with soundproofing material, is that enough, or will I have to do the wall also?  Does the sound transfer up the wall?  The speakers are mounted about 18 " below the ceiling on shelves which are hung from brackets in the wall.  Advice would be appreciated.  I'd like to do the work myself rather than hiring a contractor...
Also, there's electrical wiring in the ceiling.  I'd like to still be able to install track lighting on the ceiling.  Is this unrealistic, or will it be a lot more expensive?
  -Nissim

bjnash

Re: My upstairs neighbor is complaining about the noise
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2001, 03:15:23 AM »
: Hi, I have a music studio in my apartment, and I'm a dj.  My neighbor upstairs complains that the music is too loud.  I wonder what I need to do to reduce the transmission of noise to his apartment.  If I cover the ceiling with soundproofing material, is that enough, or will I have to do the wall also?  Does the sound transfer up the wall?  The speakers are mounted about 18 " below the ceiling on shelves which are hung from brackets in the wall.  Advice would be appreciated.  I'd like to do the work myself rather than hiring a contractor...
: Also, there's electrical wiring in the ceiling.  I'd like to still be able to install track lighting on the ceiling.  Is this unrealistic, or will it be a lot more expensive?
:    -Nissim

Covering the walls and/or ceiling won't be enough, you'll probably have to get inside them to do a decent job.  Moving the speakers off the wall and away from the ceiling will help a lot.  

anything