Author Topic: Noise Levels  (Read 3849 times)

ashadinmist

Noise Levels
« on: October 12, 2005, 04:32:06 PM »
I hope someone out there can advise me.
I am in a band that practices in a garage.  Over the past year, we have been visited by the local police department in regards to us being too loud.  The person calling into the police lives more than 100 feet from the garage and can not possibly hear the band rehearse.  In any event, we now have been given an official warning on the noise level.  We are just starting out and do not have the money necessary to completely soundproof the garage.  My question is two-fold: 1)  What decible level is acceptable (in general);  2)  Will carpet matting sufice as a sound proof material?  

bigbee

Re: Noise Levels
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 06:16:33 PM »
carpet wont do the job...and the average acceptable db is around 60.  ask the cops the next time they swing by for a visit.  just google soundproofing your garage and you will find all types of info.

Matt D

Re: Noise Levels
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 04:04:15 AM »
The above post is useless to you. What sound you create has nothing to do with the acceptable noise level. It depends what the noise level is not at the source, but at the listener - in this case, your neighbour. And furthermore, the acceptable noise level on his/her property depends on the ambience in that location. Usually, it is no more than 34 dB. Remember that dB is not a linear scale, and that the sound pressure will be an issue for you, not just noise level.
Cheers,
Matt D
Dickoz0r@hotmail.com

anything