Author Topic: Soundproofing Computers  (Read 3167 times)

Patricia Rafuse

Soundproofing Computers
« on: October 17, 2005, 04:56:59 PM »
I'm hoping you can help me with my problem.  I have an office with 3 file servers that hum all day long.  I purchased a cabinet from APC, to try to reduce the noise but unfortunately the doors are mesh which allows the noise to escape.  I've been told that I can not completely enclose the cabinet because the computers will overheat.  The cabinet came with three fans on the top to allow the heat from the computers to escape, but when I turn them on they are louder that all three computers.

Do you have a product that will reduce the noise but allow heat to escape?

welcometotheatx

Re: Soundproofing Computers
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 11:40:10 PM »
Hello,
I have a large home recording studio that I've had for years, however, I once had the same problem. I only had 1 room that I could use on a consistant basis, as in, longer than maybe 3 hours or so. But, what I've found works fairly well, is to build a plywood (3/4" thick or so) box with opening plywood doors on the front and back. Insulate it with foam and use a hole saw to create a 3 or 4 inch hole in the wooden box where the fans exhaust or bring in air. This will allow for proper venalation without as much noise. This will not COMPLETELY stop all noise, but it will make a noticable difference.

Thanks,

Tom Mead