Author Topic: sound control at a skatepark  (Read 3118 times)

matt cyr

sound control at a skatepark
« on: March 23, 2001, 07:02:22 PM »
I run an outdoor skatepark and need to quiet the ramps down...I am unable to place a berm or a wall up between the complainant and the park so I am limited to doing something to the ramps. The structure is studded every 6 inches on center and I have to consider rot i.e. water needs to be able to drain off or out. How about some kind of water proof insulation??

Eric Dunn

Re: sound control at a skatepark
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2001, 11:46:42 PM »
<< I run an outdoor skatepark and need to quiet the ramps down...I am unable to place a berm or a wall up between the complainant and the park so I am limited to doing something to the ramps. The structure is studded every 6 inches on center and I have to consider rot i.e. water needs to be able to drain off or out. How about some kind of water proof insulation?? >>
In my experiences, there are a couple of ways you can go about quieting skate ramps.  None that I know of don't involve taking the ramps apart to a certain extent.  The first thing to take into consideration is the construction.  It sounds like you just have straight wood ramps, studs on 6" centers... this sounds like a pretty substantial wood construction.  Obviously, something like concrete would of course be much quieter, but it sounds like your trying to improve upon your current situation.  One option is to beef up the actual ramp surface.  Multiple layers of 1/4" plywood on top of eachother will provide the surface with more mass and therefore make it quieter.  Picture the difference between hitting a gypsum board wall with a hammer and hitting a solid concrete wall with a hammer.  The drywall vibrates from the impact and transmits the sound, and the concrete absorbs the shock and the sound and is very quiet.  Another option is to lay down some sort of absorbant material (such as rubber sheeting or thin carpet padding) between layers to dampen the sound transmission between layers.  Also, look as what your using as your surfacing material.  SkateLite (brand name) is a great ramp material, and although a little more costly, is quiet and smooth and is made specifically for that purpose.  Sorry I couldn't give you any direct answers, only ideas.  Hope it helps.
-Eric

anything