Author Topic: Making a sound "proof" computer room  (Read 4085 times)

Grave

Making a sound "proof" computer room
« on: October 24, 2005, 06:10:24 PM »
I'm attempting to make a "sound proof" computer room. Its a 9' x 8' room in my basement. I have a childs room RIGHT above it. My house has floor joists. 2 of the walls are oustide cement block walls that are framed with insulation.

Here is my plan:

-Insulate the ceiling with 6 '1/4" insulation (Done)
-Insulate all walls with 3 1/2" insulation (Done)
-5/8" sheet rock on walls and ceiling -Acustical caulk on all seems
-Resilent channel on the ceiling and walls (2' OC for ceiling and three strips on the 8' walls
-Another 5/8" layer of sheet rock I plan on setting the wall layers on some sort of "rubber"
-Finally paint with this that I already bought: http://www.hytechsales.com/prod150.html

Thoughts? Should this allow me play video games at a "medium" setting on 7.1 speakers WITHOUT waking up my kids?

Grave

Re: Making a sound "proof" computer room
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 06:11:53 PM »
Forgot to mention that I bought the "tape" from this site and plan on applying a layer to all framing before the 1st layer of sheet rock.

grave

Re: Making a sound "proof" computer room
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 12:48:18 PM »
After pondering this for some time I have decided to build a room within the existing room. May as well as I can, then I don't have to bother with resilient channel at all.
So I'll leave a 4"-6" gap between the walls. I'll insulate the walls and ceilings of each room and use 1 layer of 5/8" sheet rock on each room. Each will also have its own door. I'll still use the tape on the framing and may apply an additional layer of something to the outer side of the inside wall.
I'll report back when its finished. If anyone has any other good ideas please chime in!