Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need an answer right now? Go to http://soundproofing.org, or,  FEEDBACK

Or call us toll-free at 888-942-7723 8-5 Pacific time Weekdays. 

If we're not in, send a email to supersoundproofing@gmail.com

You can get a free report on soundproofing by going  HERE

MAINSITE

Author Topic: Window Plugs:  Real life experience...  (Read 41148 times)

Maktub

Window Plugs:  Real life experience...
« on: October 29, 2005, 06:08:54 PM »

Hey, I am thinking about getting some window plugs for my bedroom widows, which are about 4x4.  I am looking for real life opinions about how effective they are.  I don't mind blocking out the light in night (obviously), but if they aren't that effective, I may go with soundproofwindows.com.  Any advice?  The noise is mostly from traffic and isn't all that intrusive, but I would like to reduce it.  

Thanks.

supersoundproofing

Re: Window Plugs:  Real life experience...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 11:07:58 PM »

As an alternative to soundproofwindows.com- have a look at http://soundproofing.org/infopages/options_sound_control_for_windows.htm for some cheaper ideas.

BJ Nash

Lennon Aldort

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 11:58:15 PM »

soundproofwindows.com would be the way to go. They have the best sound proof windows out there. By far. They're amazing. I would definetaly go with that.

anonymous

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 05:49:15 AM »

I've tried a 4'x6' plug using super sound-proofing foam, but it is not very effective. The foam is supposed to have a density of 1 lb. per sq. ft., but it is less, about .6 lb/sq. ft. -- so it is not even as dense as advertised. It is also pretty flexible, so it tends to sag and leave gaps -- you really have to add a stiff backing board. And it's a pain to install and take down on a regular basis. So, for the price it doesn't seem worth it. Another thing I have found with this is that a significant proportion of noise comes through the walls, so plugging the window is a very partial solution. People that say 90% of noise comes through the window are mistaken, unless they speak of non-wood, thick-walled buildings....

Lennon Aldort

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 04:27:41 AM »

..........like I said.

http://soundproofwindows.com is the only way to go.

btp2112

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 07:30:16 AM »

i agree on soundproofwindows.com - it has proven very effective for my bedroom

supersoundproofing

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 09:53:52 PM »

I've tried a 4'x6' plug using super sound-proofing foam, but it is not very effective. The foam is supposed to have a density of 1 lb. per sq. ft., but it is less, about .6 lb/sq. ft. -- so it is not even as dense as advertised. It is also pretty flexible, so it tends to sag and leave gaps -- you really have to add a stiff backing board. And it's a pain to install and take down on a regular basis. So, for the price it doesn't seem worth it. Another thing I have found with this is that a significant proportion of noise comes through the walls, so plugging the window is a very partial solution. People that say 90% of noise comes through the window are mistaken, unless they speak of non-wood, thick-walled buildings....

Answer-  SInce this is industrial material, not a retail store product, there may be some difference in the thickness from batch to batch which would affect the weight somewhat- This is negligable as far as the sound blocking quality goes.
(Industrial products are not normally available to the public- just fror th very reason that the public, being less informed may be severely picky).

The proper way to use the plug is detailed on CLICK>http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/windowplug.htm and mentions that a large window (over 4 feet in size), will probably need a backing board, or it could sag and leave a gap, causing it to lose effectiveness.

Windows are ALWAYS passing more sound then walls- think about it!

(Actually an average outside wall will rarely be below an STC of 45 while a window will usually be around 20-30 STC points)

BJ Nash- Super Soundproofing Co

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 08:24:37 PM »

Here is our real life experience with constructing a window plug for our bedroom window which is a little smaller than 4 feet by 6 feet.  

Here are the facts:

Window size: 4 feet by 6 feet

Noise problem:   One rude neighbor across the street starting up a noisy mustang car early in the morning.   The noise is surprisingly loud and can be heard in every room of our home, even with the doors and windows closed!   Other  noises would be some freeway noise off in the distance and lawn mowers every Wednesday morning.

After constructing the window plug, we have noticed the following difference in the noise level...

The freeway noise off in the distance is gone.

The lawnmower noise now sounds much further away than before.   The rude, obnoxious girl in the mustang can still be heard but the sound is less.   I believe the remaining noise is coming through the walls.

The effectiveness of the window plug depends upon how you construct it.   It can not be removable because noise would be coming in around the edges.   Also, the soundproofing materials we bought weigh over 70 POUNDS!  Yes, 70 pounds.   My husband and I could not even lift the material up together to glue it onto our 1/2 inch plywood.  We had to cut the 4 foot X 6 foot sheet of soundproofing mat into 1/3 sections before we could lift it onto our plywood board.  Also we used thick, heavy soundproof tape called "Barrier Tape" to tape all around the edges so  that noise would not come in around the plywood sheet edges.

Here's the construction in detail:

We purchased the following materials for our 4 ft X 6 ft window at www.soundprooffoam.com

One 4 ft X 8 ft sheet of "Ultra Barrier" $258.82 plus shipping

One tube of Loctite Power Grab adhesive  $8.99

One Stanley utility knife to cut the Ultra Barrier $7.49

Four rolls of Barrier Tape (each roll is 3 inches by 6 feet) $20.75 X 4 rolls = $83.00 for the tape

In addition, at Lowes (or Home Depot) we bought one sheet of 1/2 plywood $24.75  

The construction is as follows:

Cut the 1/2 inch plywood to fit the window as tightly as possibe and then paint the side that will be facing out of your home with white paint.  That way no one will see a sheet of plywood in your window.

(1) We first nailed several small pieces of wood around the window so that our plywood would sit 2 inches from the window glass.

(2)  We put the plywood into the window with the white side facing the street.  It should be a tight fit.

(3) If possible, use sound proof caulking around the plywood and then the sound proof Barrier Tape listed above.  We only used the Barrier Tape and taped all around the plywood.

(4) Measure and cut your Ultra Barrier soundproof vinyl & foam mat into sections that you can lift.

(5) Don't put the adhesive on your plywood until you've checked the fit of your Ultra Barrier sheet first.

(6) Once you know your Ultra Barrier sheet is a snug fit for your plywood, then put the adhesive on the plywood and press the Ultra Barrier soundproof vinyl & foam sheet to the plywood.   Hold it until it starts to set firm to the plywood.

(7) Last, you might want to add some extra strips of the Ultra Barrier sheet to around the edges of your plywood sheet for extra sound proofing.   That's it.

Our window plug has reduced the noise level but if it had not, we were prepared to get a 2nd window added from www.soundproofwindows.com .  I got a quote for this size of window at $951.06.  (4 ft X 6 ft)

supersoundproofing

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 04:00:40 PM »

The page at http://soundproofing.org/options_sound_control_for_windows.htm
gives the options for window sound control.

BJ Nash

tdlamb

Re: Soundproofing Windows
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 07:18:38 PM »

I recently installed a window from Soundproof Windows Company in my bedroom.  I have had pretty good results with it but it has taken several tries.  When I first ordered the window and had it installed by a handyman, it was not installed far enough away from the existing outside window and I didn't get any noticeable noise reduction.  After calling the company to complain, they then told me it was key to install it around 6" away from the other window.  I had another window frame built out of 4x4's and reinstalled the window so that there is a space of 6" between the two windows.  I also had a new window installed on the outside of the house using laminated glass.  Between these two windows, I am now getting very good noise reduction through the window.  However, I now notice the noise coming through the wall more and am looking to soundproof the wall also using MLV and resilient channels.  Installing the two new windows was also not cheap, but  anything to help get a good night's sleep is worth it to me.  My advice on the soundproof window . . . just make sure there is sufficient dead space in between the two windows.

eddykay

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 05:18:47 PM »

I am considering soundproofwindows.com since the traffic noise is sometimes unbearable...How expensive are we talking installing 2 windows, double hung in my bedroom. Just an estimate please...thanks much!

Go their website at
http://soundproofwindows.com/to find out!
Look into your options at http://soundproofing.org/options_sound_control_for_windows.htm

BJ Nash

joel

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 11:42:02 PM »

Hi Maktub,

I have a customer who is a lawyer living in a 23rd floor flat in downtown Manhattan.  He has a 2" thick SSP acoustic foam Mat window plug in his bedroom window.  He recently orderd more material to do another window in his home.  He has been using the window plug in his bedroom window for over 2 years and told me it is the only way he can get any sleep - it blocks out all the light and sound from the busy 24/7 streets below.  For information see the first product listed at http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html  
Joel