Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: Hellp with door  (Read 3610 times)

michaell1999

Hellp with door
« on: September 26, 2006, 07:38:01 PM »

It's a steel door with the middle all glass. The glass in the middle is 64" x 22". There is a small plastic trim around the glass but not much depth. Should I even attempt to place acrylic or more glass to create an air pocket?

joel

Re: Hellp with door
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 11:06:09 PM »

hi michaell1999

Most steel doors have the glass pane in the middle of the width of the door.  If yours is like that it doesn't give you any real possibility to create a usefull air gap between an added layer of glass or acrylic.  I wouldn't even attempt to retrofit-soundproof this door with any expectation of success.  Have you considered a black out layer of 1/8" MLV - or do you need to see through the door?

Joel

michaell1999

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 01:35:58 AM »

I would want to see thru the glass if possible.
The MLV maybe a cheaper solution than replacing door. Or do you think the MLV will reduce sound better than a new door?

The MLV wouldn't be that bad because I would still have wood blinds installed on inside, the door is black and the MLV shouldn't stand out from outside and I can make it removeable.

either way I am looking for maximum sound reduction.

agtrojan

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 05:02:36 PM »

Michael,

Take a look at the clear MLV strips and mounting kit at the bottom of the following page:

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/curtains.htm

A staggered, double-layer (100% overlap) will reduce up to 13 dB of sound.  That's at least 50% of noise passing through your door.