Author Topic: Audio Alloy Green Glue  (Read 22644 times)

induray

Audio Alloy Green Glue
« on: October 31, 2005, 11:50:03 AM »
I am planning to install an extra layer of sheetrock 5/8" to an existing wall for noise abetement. Has anybody used the Green GLue? How do you rate it? Is it worth the extra cost? Please no endorsements fm Audio Alloy employees ;D

supersoundproofing

Re: Audio Alloy Green Glue
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 11:01:26 PM »
While the product is too new to rate, folks like you would be a real asset if you were to report how it worked.  Issues involved would be ease of use and odor, how difficult to get the things together, etc.  Hope to hear from you!

BJ Nash

induray

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 10:53:20 AM »
If I decide to go for it I will. Now here is a question. What would be a good homemade test to measure subjectively the reduction rate. I know that in order to do that
A. I must have a reproducible source of constant amplitude at a give frequency and output. A boombox will do and I think I can create a CD with a mid range tone at constant amplitude . Maybe using NERO software?.

B. I must have a way to measure sound energy and this is where I fall short. Any cheap Ideas????I should measure in db but  I can't figure out RTC rating based on  db ratio  before and after installation. db_before/db_after= ratio. Or I could just report db before and db after.

Please forgive me. I am an engineer by profession (acft structures). And cheap by birthright. (I am a do-it yourselfer) ;D

induray

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 10:57:37 AM »
To the Moderator. By reading the technical info on their  website. By your experience, do you think Green Glue has potential/merit??www.audioalloy.com ???

supersoundproofing

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 12:30:17 AM »
To answer the question about sound measurement first- a cheap but useful sound measurement meter is available from Radio Shack for about $30.  We've used it and it compares faorable with expensive (impressive) meters  used by the trade.  Keep it simple- measure with and without without the math....

Regarding the effectiveness of the glue- I would think it should be very effective.  Quiet rock has obtained very good STC rating with their use of it in sheetrock assemblies and that should easily be duplicatable by DYI'ers.

In fact we are investigating thse issues as we speak...

BJ Nash

induray

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 10:52:21 AM »
Excellent. I am encouraged to do it and test it. I am currently painting the outside of my house, but soundproofing  is the next project to tackle. Will keep you posted on issues as ease of installation, fumes/smell and noise reduction.

Thanks for the info.

Induray

MrCoolGuy

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 07:51:35 PM »
A local and highly respected acoustician is advising me to use SikaFlex rather than Green Glue. He claims to have used both and says "SikaFlex is just as good". So, anyone in here have any experience with both and want to weigh in?

Hickory_Stick

Re: Audio Alloy Gren Glue
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 04:49:53 AM »
What kind?  There are many types of sealants.  Exactly which?

Hick

hickory_stick

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 02:24:13 AM »
GREEN GLUE-
I see Super Soundproofing is now carrying it.  http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/GreenGlue.htm

Hick

noisetwentyone

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 05:20:42 PM »
Green glue seems to improve the STC of a wall by 9 points if you use 8 tubes per 4' x 8' area of wall. That would be 4 tubes on each side of the wall.  At least according to Audio Alloys web site for a 2x4 construction wall with thermal insulation and two layers of 5/8" rock on both sides:

http://audioalloy.com/transmissionLossTests/OL05-1050_Report.pdf

comparing apples to apples:

http://audioalloy.com/transmissionLossTests/OL05-1059_Report.pdf

So each 4'x8' area of wall space would cost $143.60 or about $4.48/sq. ft. if you pay $17.95 per tube.

Nine STC points is not bad, almost 50% of perceived noise.

noisetwentyone

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 05:29:02 PM »
Actually it's a 10 point STC improvement. I'm still learning to count.

bjnash

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 06:35:36 PM »
The Green Glue people claim a 58 STC by the use of their product- a normal residential wall is about a 20 so thats a awesome increse in sound control.

BJ Nash
See  http://soundproofing.org/sales/GreenGlue.htm

noisetwentyone

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 07:51:54 PM »
The ad in your link doesn't say how many layers and the thickness of the drywall they used in their test to get the stated STC 56. However, according to their site, they used double layers of drywall on either side of the wall and thermal insulation between the studs:

http://www.audioalloy.com/transmissionLossTests/OL05-0414_Report.pdf

The STC of a normal wall is well above 20:

http://www.stcratings.com/assemblies.html

According to the above site, the STC rating of single layer 5/8" drywall, one on each side of 2' x 4' studs with thermal insulation will provide an STC of 34 to 39. Increasing the mass by two, or doubling the drywall layers will further improve this by 4 to 6 for a total of STC38 to STC45.

The difference is 11 points.
I would love to see ASTM come up with a better test than the E90. STC applies to interior walls only and was designed in the old days when I was at college. This was in the days before subwoofers and 500 Watt stereo systems. The test was designed to provide an idea of how well an interior wall would block radio and televion noise along with conversation. It also applied to office noise.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 09:45:46 PM »
Actually, the tests indicate a 10 point STC rise (44 to 54).  But this was tested on a regular stud wall with no resilient mounting, kind of the worst way to go.  One thing that caught my eye was the increase in transmission loss at 100 Hz - 18 dB for the untreated wall, 25 dB for the Green Glue wall.  7 dB at that frequency will make a huge difference.  

I think 4 tubes per side is excessive.  Their own website says that more than 3 tubes and the performance gains level out.  2 tubes per side is the recommended quantity, and even 1 tube per side (at $0.60/ sq. ft.) will do some good.  

Green Glue is a cool product and I will continue to use it, where budget allows, but to get the really high STC numbers, you can't beat resilient channels, staggered studs, double studs, additional drywall mass and good sealing.  

For example, a double stud wall, insulated, with 3 layers of 5/8" drywall per side and 2 tubes of Green Glue between each sheet of drywall (a total of 232 oz., the same amount as in the lab test) will get you an STC of 75+, massively outperforming a little, wussy STC 54 wall.

induray

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 09:39:43 AM »
I am still unable to commence with this project due to other pressing issues. If anyone tries it first, please give us your results.