Author Topic: Electric Drum Kit Soundproofing  (Read 2474 times)

Andrew V. Morrison

Electric Drum Kit Soundproofing
« on: November 07, 2005, 07:02:19 PM »
I recently purchased an electric drum kit and have been practicing regularly in the bedroom of my thrid floor apartments. No complaints so far, although the older gentleman who lives directly below me has let me know that he can indeed hear me playing (the tapping of sticks/kick pedal on the rubber pads). Like I said, he didn't complain or ask me to stop, but I would still like to spare him some degree of annoyance and see about soundproofing my bedroom so that no noise escapes through the floor.
   I'm contemplating putting the drum kit on top of several layers of cardboard, with a rug, or two, or even three on top of that. Please, anyone who could explain why this is or isn't a feasible idea, email me and tell me why. Anyone with any better (also, preferably easy and cheap) alternatives, feel free to do the same.
 Thanks a lot,
Andrew V. Morrison

Matt D

Re: Electric Drum Kit Soundproofing
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 03:59:35 AM »
Thats an OK idea... but it wont stop the vibration completely. In order for that, you will need a suspension system that elevates the kit off the ground, which is supported by shock absorbing products of some sort - like rubber. For instance, rubber studs, timber frame, then composite timber/'stage'.
Hope this helps. For further discussion email or msn dickoz0r@hotmail.com
Matt D