Author Topic: testing if walls are insulated w/o poking a hole?  (Read 2487 times)

down with barking

testing if walls are insulated w/o poking a hole?
« on: November 09, 2005, 01:32:01 AM »
I am about to pull the trigger on some new soundproof windows, but my contractor asked if the walls were indeed insulated - good call because it would suck to spend the cash on new windows and find out they didn't help reduce the outside noise.

I live in San Diego and the house was built in '49, my vinyl siding is fairly recent.  Seeing how the weather here is mostly mild all year, there's a good chance there isn't much insulation...Is there a way, short of putting my ear up to the wall, to find out what's going on with the insulation without tearing a hole in the drywall?  :-/

this is a great site!

induray

Re: testing if walls are insulated w/o poking a ho
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 01:41:04 PM »
Just cut an opening on an incospicuous area on the dry wallfor example close to the floor where a cabinet might cover it, or inside a closet). Make it between two studs, inspect . Take a small 1"x 1/4 piece of wood long enought to attach it to the back of the cut out. This will serve as a support bracket for your cut piece. Screw two dry wall screws to the drywall and wood bracket. Reinstall cut piece, screw to bracket and patch with drywall tape and mud. Aply thin layers of mud let dry and do it again until smooth. Sanding should beminimal.  Paint. It should look good as new.  

supersoundproofing

• Administrator
  • I love Super Soundproofing!
    • Super Soundproofing Co
Re: testing if walls are insulated w/o poking a ho
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 07:29:15 PM »
A sound level meter works good, available from Radio Shack.

BJ Nash- Super Soundproofing CO
Super Soundproofing Co
www.soundproofing.org

anything