Author Topic: Ceiling/Floor problem in old house - exposed beams  (Read 3687 times)

Dan Brinkler

Ceiling/Floor problem in old house - exposed beams
« on: December 20, 2005, 03:23:49 AM »
I would first like to say that I am a landlord and I believe tenants have a right to peace and quiet in their own apartment, and I am surprised that other landlords ignore this critical issue.

The problem I am trying to solve is a ceiling/floor issue where the bedroom of apt. 1 is below the living room of apt. 2.  The building is a very old house (circa 1830) that had been converted to apartments a while ago.  I intended to solve the issue by taking out the old ceiling and putting up resilient channel and 5/8 inch sheetrock.  However, when I took down the old ceiling (which was just ¼ inch paneling) I discovered some beautiful old beams.  I wanted to leave the beams exposed so for Plan B, I put up sheets of ½ inch Homasote between the beams and 5/8 inch sheetrock over the Homasote.  I made sure to caulk all the gaps and seems.  The flooring above the beams is two layers of 1 inch boards then a carpet pad and then carpet.

The problem is that my new solution did not work.  Will more Homasote and sheetrock help or do I need to rip up the carpet and add more noise barrier there?  I would really like to keep the old beams exposed if possible.  I would appreciate any advice.

anything