Author Topic: Isolation Clips and Sound Barriers  (Read 3482 times)

wsilverwood

Isolation Clips and Sound Barriers
« on: November 13, 2005, 11:29:55 PM »
I live in a ground floor condo, and the noise from the unit above is quite extreme.  There is heavy footfall noise, loudly squeaking floorboards, and some conversation/music noise.  Not an uncommon problem based on what I've been reading here.  I'm looking into the clips/dropped ceiling method and would even go to the expense of adding a layer of audiobarrier material if I knew the noise reduction would be substantial.  

Just how effective are these products, and how much reduction could I expect?  How reliable are the STC claims made by the companies who make them?  Are there any reviews or studies of the effectiveness of these products and techniques?  Thanks for any advice and testimony.

skip

Re: Isolation Clips and Sound Barriers
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 12:37:30 AM »
Footfall noise usually comes from rooms located above that have wither tile or hard wood floors. the "IMPACT" noise that you describe is difficult to deal with-it is best dealt with prior to wood floors or tile floors being installed. When that is not done, the best solution is creating a floating ceiling from below. Floating ceilings include items such as sound clips, hat channel, isolation tape, sound board, sound absorbing closed cell foam, mass loaded vinyl and 5/8" thick dry wall. This is an extensive solution that is required to deal with "IMPACT" sound from above. No canned or recessed lights are allowed in such a floating ceiling solultion. Holes in the ceiling will allow the Impact sound to travel right thru trhe ceiling.

anything