Author Topic: Sound Proofing Apartment using rugs and mlv?  (Read 24755 times)

current tenant

Sound Proofing Apartment using rugs and mlv?
« on: August 27, 2005, 06:08:58 AM »
I just moved into my first apartment, it's great, but I'm probably just not used to the sounds and it can drive me crazy. I'm on the top floor, however my downstairs neighbor has to listen to music and play his guitar all day everyday, and he is a real jerk about it when asked to turn it down. I've complained to management several times, and finally it is a little better.

Like I said first apartment, not used to noise, and they drive me crazy, just the little constant beat of music or guitar is still there, too quiet to complain about, too annoying to just live with. (I can feel the little beat, fans and other white noise dont help really).

So my question is, can I buy a roll of BARRIER: "Super Soundproofing Silencer (MLV) Mass Loaded Vinyl", cut it up to fit under 2 large area rugs (I cant go under the carpet). and will that help greatly? even though not the entire floor is covered with it? Thanks!

ladykuroda

Re: Sound Proofing Apartment using rugs and mlv?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 02:42:49 PM »
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with this same problem.

I'm also in my first apartment, and my neighbour downstairs feels the need to blast her TV all night long and throughout the day, too.  >:( Argh. So, needless to say, that when I want to go to bed early, she's still blaring sound. And it's driving me nuts. Just like you, I've complained to the management twice... but after a week or two, the noise gets bad again. And yes, the white noise or radio static does not help at all, as the noise vibrates through the floor and into my wooden bed frame!  :o

I have considered just vibration panels for under my bed.... I wonder if that would help reduce the noise somewhat, however... I also hear the noise when I'm /not/ lying on my side as well.

So, since we're both renters, we can't really do anything to permanently abolish the sound pollution we're facing. So, my question is the same as yours, except my idea is to cover my entire bedroom floor (I'm over the neighbour's living room) and then put another layer of carpet on top.

Same question... will it help deaden the noise??

supersoundproofing

• Administrator
  • I love Super Soundproofing!
    • Super Soundproofing Co
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 05:26:47 PM »
Vibration pads  would be useful if the sound was actually mechanically vibrating the bed.  I doubt this is true.  More likely the sound waves are being re-radiated from the floor up and causing acoustical (Not vibration), sound waves.  This has been very sucessfully reduced by MLV on the floor.  You will need to cover the whole flor as sound is like water and will find the path of least resistance.

Depending on th intensity, several layers may be necessary and a combination of MLV with foam may work best.

See   http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm   for more on this.  

BJ Nash
Super Soundproofing Senior Technical Advisor
Super Soundproofing Co. www.soundproofing.org
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
E-mail: bjnash@soundproofing.org
TOLL FREE: (888) 942-7723

Visit us at: www.soundproofing.org
Super Soundproofing Co
www.soundproofing.org

current tenant

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 04:16:36 AM »
Yes, I was looking at ordering that. I now know I will need to cover the whole room area. But recently there has been more problems, the sound is getting better (I'm adjusting more?), but I have a dog who likes to walk around and bounce a tennis ball, everytime he drops it I get a pound on my floor (their ceiling), really scares my dog. I went to find out the problem, and dropping a tennis ball from 2 inches above the carpet does make quite a noise downstairs.

So will this super soundproofing material, 1/8" mlv with 1/4" foam padding allow my dog to actually play and drop his toys on the floor without the downstairs people hearing?

If not, what other options would you suggest? Also I can't pull the carpet up, so I would just put down the mlv or whatever you suggest on top of the carpet, then I don't know what to do next. Should I use the foam side of the product as my new carpet? put area rugs and still leave some of it exposed, or would I need to put a full layer of carpet down? I'd rather keep the price down as I have only 11 months longer and will have my own house.

So please let me know what you think about this. Thanks again

vicki lee

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 05:27:57 AM »
I need help too!

Same problem. I just moved into a house that had an extension built. Seems like they decided the build the thinnest floor possible because I can hear the conversation from the in-law apartment below as if they were in the room next door with the door open- and there is carpeting on the floor.

Will the MLV with foam work if I lay it on top of the carpeting? If I then place carpeting on top of it, will it then leave me with an uneven surface that will have my furniture wobbling about. Lastly, and most importantly, will it get rid of the clear conversations I can hear since I cannot lay this down in the ideal way?

HELP!!!

LabMouseInsomnia

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 01:30:38 PM »
current tenant--

I read your story with amazement--I am having a problem with downstairs neighbors and TV noise. A little while ago, the landlord gave them crap about something, they thought it was me who complained (even though it wasn't) and now they make sure to turn up their TV's late into the night and first thing in the morning. It's childish and vengeful behavior, not that I expected them to be mature about it anyway, but still....It's stressful and frustrating--my bedtime is now a practice of anxiety mixed with exhaustion. I have to do something...

Did you try the barrier idea yet? Do you think this will work? I saw that you wanted to cut it up and put it under your area rugs...I have hardwood right now an a few area rugs...I would like to see if this soundproofing will work.  Can anyone tell me if I have to cover the whole floor with it?

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!!  :) I need some uninterrupted, stressless sleep time!!  :'(

supersoundproofing

• Administrator
  • I love Super Soundproofing!
    • Super Soundproofing Co
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 11:09:04 PM »
The questions posted above focus on two different problems- Number one is impact sound and Number two is airborne sound.  Both have to be treated separately as they are completely different phenomena.  Ipact sound can be reduced by a membrane that gives when struck- “Dimple Pad” is used for this under carpet or wood flooring. Use a barrier like MLV for airborne sound.  The are fully described in the page at:

[url] htttp://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm]/url]

BJ Nash

Super Soundproofing Co
www.soundproofing.org

lederc

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 01:33:11 PM »
I have a problem along the lines discussed here. I just moved into a new apartment that is on the third floor. The floor below houses mechanical equipment for the building and I can hear a low vibration or hum that is preventing me from sleeping.

The noise or hum fluctuates and causes me to tense up instead of relaxing. My friends think I am crazy as the noise does not affect them the same.

Would a MLV with foam work if I cover my entire bedroom floor with it??

Please help  :-/

Hickory Stick

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 11:28:37 PM »
I had that problem and it worked for me!

Hick

lederc

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 11:40:38 PM »
It did? Did you cover your entire bedroom floor? Where did you purchase the materials?

anything