Author Topic: Mass Load Vinyl vs. Resilient Channel  (Read 7926 times)

SueBee

Mass Load Vinyl vs. Resilient Channel
« on: November 29, 2005, 07:42:05 PM »
Hello,

I live in a nice townhouse that I enjoy, except for the noise that transfers between the party wll from my neighbor's house to mine.  They are not loud people, per se, but the walls are pretty thin.  They house in only 6 years old.  I have been reading a lot on the internet and Supersoundproofing.com (great material!) about how to soundproof common (party walls).  I have read, mostly on this forum, about using MLV covered with a layer of dry wall or adding another wall over the existing wall with resilient channels and clips (floating wall).  I hope I got the terms right!  My questions is this: is there much of a difference in soundproofing results between these two methods?  I am considering having the common wall in the family room done and a wall in the tv room.  There is enough space in the tv room for a second (floating wall) wall, but the space in the family room is tight although if it will yield the best results, I can have it done.  I really appreciate your replies!

Sue

skip

Re: Mass Load Vinyl vs. Resilient Channel
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 12:29:17 AM »
SueBee:

Mass Loaded Vinyl is a true sound barrier material. It is very dense and heavy ( 1 or 2 pounds per square foot of material ). It is this weight and density that allow it to act as a major barrier to sound. MLV is rated with a STC raqting of 27 for 1/8" and 31 for 1/4" thicknesses.

Resilient Channel is a stamped metal material that is used to both  hold and isolate sound barrier and/or sound absorbing materials.

Often, both MLV and Resilient Channel are used together to provide superior soundproofing results.

In both cases, MLV and R. Channel are best used in conjunction with 5/8" thick Gypsum-Dry Wall.

john bergstrom

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 06:53:29 AM »
The magic formula: Batt insulation + Resilient Channels + 5/8" drywall + MLV + 5/8" drywall + edge sealing = awesome.

andyman91

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 01:21:18 AM »
So you can put the MLV over existing walls, then add another sheet of drywall, just like Green Glue?

Which works better, MLV or Green Glue?

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 03:06:21 AM »
I used to think MLV was the best, until I used Green Glue.  Green Glue is also cheaper, less than a buck/sq.ft. versus $1.50 or more from MLV.
In my experience, MLV won't work as well when sandwiched between 2 layers of drywall.  It's too rigid and transmits noise to readily.  It works the best when hung as an acoustic 'curtain', not touching any other materials.

anything