Author Topic: Soundproofing a Band rehearsal space room  (Read 4981 times)

Simon Ley

Soundproofing a Band rehearsal space room
« on: June 22, 2005, 02:17:09 PM »
  I am a contractor, in a band, and just in the final stages of soundproofing a rehearsal room in the basement of my duplex house.

My plan is to fill the wall and ceiling cavities with 'Fill-a-foam' (I was going to use a cellulose 'blown- in' insulation but it would not stick in the ceiling with out first closing the ceiling and I was not comfortable with not being able to see that the entire cavity would be filled) then I will use two layers of 5/8" sheetrock or du-rock (concrete tile backer) then MLV, then resilient channel (no sound-clips) then a single (or double layer, depending on the results) of 5/8" drywall cut a 1/4" short from the ceilings, walls and floor, that joint would then be filled with either a silicone or latex caulk.

Do you think it is absolutely necessary to spend the money on the sound-clips? And do you think sheetrock is as good at blocking sound transmission as concrete-board?

My band is loud and has lots of low-end bass signals, the room is not that big (about 12'x12') do think I'm on the right track?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Simon.

Kevin Roberts

Re: Soundproofing a Band rehearsal space room
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 03:19:46 AM »
Simon,

Still trying to reach you.  Please call me.

Kevin

joel

Re: Soundproofing a Band rehearsal space room
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 11:48:15 PM »
Hello Simon,

How did the "fill a foam" work out.  Did it multiply or reduce sound transfer?  A better choice in the future would be bonded cotton rolled insulation (3 1/2" & 5" thick available). As for sheetrock vs du-rock - the durock is better at blocking sound (more mass).  RC-2 (resilient channel for ceilings) does not carry nearly the weight of sound clips with DWFC.  It is rated to carry 2 layers of drywall so you should be OK.  Fill perimeter 1/4" gap with acoustic caulk only - not silicone or cheap latex caulk.  Low-end bass is handled by large dead-air space
and/or closed cell vinyl nitrile foam (one of the few materials that has STC AND NRC) within an enclosed air space.