Author Topic: Soundproofing a live room.  (Read 2961 times)

Louise Plant

Soundproofing a live room.
« on: November 03, 2005, 03:34:52 PM »
Hi there,
I'm studing an HND in Music and am currently stuck on an assignment.

Basically I need to know, what would be the best material to use for soundproofing a live room completely.

Our live room in college has only 3/4 of the walls carpeted and I was wondering ideally what would you use to make it more efficient or is this good enough?

Also if it were a live room used by professional bands for albums and what not, would this be suitable or what would you change?

Thanks,
Louise

joel

Re: Soundproofing a live room.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 07:18:58 PM »
Hi Louise,

When you speak of carpeted walls (carpet = .65 NRC)you are speaking of sound "conditioning" not       soundproofing.  "Soundproofing" means keeping sound from going through walls, ceilings, and floors to adjoining areas.  Soundproofing materials include Mass loaded vinyl, sound isolation clips, metal channes with isolation tape, closed cell foams inside the walls, bonded cotton insulation, and various wall system constructions.

Once a room is soundproofed it will be very "live" - lots of reverberant echo.  The "live room" you mention would be conditioned using open cell foams, usually urethane, in the form of minimum 2" thick wedge/ pyramid panels, or thicker "max" wedge panels.  Corner bass traps, spiral tech, etc. would be used in the corners.  Vacuum formed plastic diffusers would also be used in a professional studio.

Good Luck,
Joel

anything