Author Topic: Insulating a closet  (Read 3961 times)

SingingMama

Insulating a closet
« on: November 08, 2006, 06:34:48 PM »
As I feared my new apartment has horrible insulation problems.  Not only do I hear my neighbor's tv, radio, etc, but even their phone ring and their voice say "hello", unless I have my own tv or music on.  It doesn't bother me but when I practice my guitar/singing I am not comfortable knowing everyone around me can hear it!  I really can't afford to buy a sound booth so I was thinking of using my walk-in closet as a soundproof room.  It's in a great location~ not next to any neighbor's wall, and is a nice square size.  I'd like to keep my clothes hanging in there but I can remove everything else and there is enough room for a small chair.  I could comfortably sit in there and practice.  My question is what type of material would work best for me to put against the closet walls and on the floor (downstairs neighbor)? What would best block the sound from travelling?  It needs to be temporary as I'm only renting a year, and don't plan on renewing.  Thanks!

joel

Re: Insulating a closet
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 07:10:17 PM »
Super Soundproofing Mat (closed cell vinyl nitrile acoustic foam) is used to absorb and block sound in a contained space.  It is the first product shown at http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html  Use at least 1/2" thick (1" thick is better).  It can be "tacked" in place for removal later.  For the best barrier material use 1/8" thick, 1 lb/sq ft, MLV (Mass loaded vinyl).  It is available with either open cell or closed cell foam backing (both 1/4" thick).  This will both block sound from going through and absorb a lot of the echo inside the closet area.  MLV is heavy so you may need to use a 1x2 strip of wood at the top of each "drape" strip that hangs against the wall (foam side out).  For info on MLV described see "the three types we sell. . ." at this link http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm