Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: ** BJ NASH aka Administrator **  (Read 4046 times)

wendy

** BJ NASH aka Administrator **
« on: December 12, 2005, 02:28:07 AM »

I've been reading a lot of your posts and you referred to the pages on soundproof.org.  Honestly I'm a bit confuse by that page and maybe you can answer my questions better.

First of, like many people, I have a noise problem with my windows.  I have a HUGE opening, about 100 X 150.  The opening is consisted of 3 tempered window on the bottom, 1 stationed window, and 2 sliding windows, so total of 6.  There is no window sill, the windows just sit on some aluminum frame (NOT the window frame).  The tempered glasses is situated about 1 1/2 inches inside this frame.  The sliding windows have maybe 1/2 inch of space between outside of the frame and the glass.

So by going through the options on your site:
1. Replace windows
can't, Condo has requirement on color, and Quiet line comes only in white

2. interior window on outside frame
I considered putting on another laminate window OVER the new double pane windows.  BUT there is simple no room for it.  Unless I build another frame ouside of this window

3. plastic window on interior frame
I have no idea how this works.  I get the idea of putting a plastic window on the frame of an existing window, but how can I open the windows if this is installed??

4. Plug
Want the lights

5. Double pane
I have already replaced the windows with double pane windows.  The sound has dampened but still noticeable.  

6. Storm window
I live in california, so I have no idea what this is.  

7. Sound dampening plastic
I can't find it on your site.

8. Curtains
No offense, but the curtains on your site look pretty ugly.... Besides this means if i open the curtains, the sound will come in.

So the options that I'm not familiar with, which could be a solution for me are #3, #6, #7.  Which one works better?  In your opinion, which ones are not suitable for my setting?  I'm really tired of the sound and don't want to spend another 2, 3 grands to fix it.  Hope you have the solution for me!

Thanks in advance!!!

Wendy

supersoundproofing

Re: ** BJ NASH aka Administrator **
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 03:30:32 AM »

I've been reading a lot of your posts and you referred to the pages on soundproof.org.  Honestly I'm a bit confuse by that page and maybe you can answer my questions better.

First of, like many people, I have a noise problem with my windows.  I have a HUGE opening, about 100 X 150.  The opening is consisted of 3 tempered window on the bottom, 1 stationed window, and 2 sliding windows, so total of 6.  There is no window sill, the windows just sit on some aluminum frame (NOT the window frame).  The tempered glasses is situated about 1 1/2 inches inside this frame.  The sliding windows have maybe 1/2 inch of space between outside of the frame and the glass.

So by going through the options on your site:

1. Replace windows

can't, Condo has requirement on color, and Quiet line comes only in white

2. interior window on outside frame

I considered putting on another laminate window OVER the new double pane windows.  BUT there is simple no room for it.  Unless I build another frame ouside of this window

3. plastic window on interior frame

I have no idea how this works.  I get the idea of putting a plastic window on the frame of an existing window, but how can I open the windows if this is installed??

4. Plug

Want the lights

5. Double pane

I have already replaced the windows with double pane windows.  The sound has dampened but still noticeable.  

6. Storm window

I live in california, so I have no idea what this is.  

7. Sound dampening plastic

I can't find it on your site.

8. Curtains

No offense, but the curtains on your site look pretty ugly.... Besides this means if i open the curtains, the sound will come in.

So the options that I'm not familiar with, which could be a solution for me are #3, #6, #7.  Which one works better?  In your opinion, which ones are not suitable for my setting?  I'm really tired of the sound and don't want to spend another 2, 3 grands to fix it.  Hope you have the solution for me!

Thanks in advance!!!

Wendy

Thanks for taking the time to write.  Large windows present a true challange, due to the sound they can let in.  

Can you reduce the window area by using a plug for some sections?

The drapes are quite effective and the "ugly ones" we have are very reasonable on cost, leaving a lot of money left over for some new covering drapes more to your liking...

Maybe the best idea is to install a secondary window on the inside frame of your window assembly, something removable when you want to open it for air (and noise).  4'X8' sheets of framed plexiglass could be used for this, but a contractor would probably have to do it for you.  The kits we sell are for much smaller windows and the magnetic tape holding them in place would probably not work well for that size windows.  http://soundproofing.org/sales/magnetseal_windows.htm

A frame made up of a "home depot" type patio door assembly could also work for this or "Soundproof Windows" has these with triple paned glass just for this purpose.  (Mixed results).

Maybe some of our readers can give you the benefit of their experiences- how about it out there, folks?

BJ Nash

Wendy

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 04:49:36 AM »

Oh sorry forgot to mention even though this is such a big opening, the actual size of each window is smaller.

The breakdown of the window is like this:

1 pictured window: ~44x55
3 tempered window: ~44x37
2 sliding window: ~45x55

Would the kit you sell fit this size?

I wouldn't want to use a plug because it will block our view.

Also does your magnet windows come in brown?

And how about the magnetite windows?  Do you think they will work?

And do you still sell these plastic films?  I saw them on the "option to soundproof" site but I don't see it on your products section.

Thanks!!

Wendy

Wendy

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 05:04:55 AM »

I may have to take you up on the offer for the curtains.  How is the green/gold curtains?  Are they in good condition?  Would you have enough for 4x 100x150 (for the pleats)?  And do you have more pictures than the ones shown in your website?

Also how are these curtains different from regular curtains?

And in terms of soundproofing, assuming my current windows give me 30 STC rating, how much more could these curtains add to the rating?  (I know it won't be exact, just a rough idea.  I don't really know what my window's STC ratings are anyways )

WL