Author Topic: Loud cold air  Return  (Read 4667 times)

Richard Scruggs

Loud cold air  Return
« on: December 13, 2005, 10:42:36 PM »
I just changed HVAC my setup from radiant hot water to forced air (to get air conditioning).  

The problem I'm having is that the contractor put the furnace in the middle of the basement, which is fine, but the cold air return goes directly up into our dining room.  
So, every ten minutes or so, it sounds like a jet is landing in my dining room.  The noise sounds mostly like it's coming from the blower.  

The "duct" is as large, rectangular and goes straight down to the floor of the basement, where it is separated from the furnace unit by the slot you put the filter in.  

Is there anything I can do to cut some of the blower noise in my dining room?  I'm pretty handy and not afraid of building things or bending metal if necessary.

thanks

supersoundproofing

Re: Loud cold air  Return
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 11:50:59 PM »
Put your hand on the duct with the furnace running.  Do you feel vibration?  If so, you'll need to break the connection from the furnace to the duct with a rubber coupling- like a bellows.  If no vibration, you'll probably get good results by lining the duct with sound dampening foam as shown at the top of page http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html
It is a closed cell foam and will not absorb moisture and will not burn.  I'd use the 1" thick- apply with contact cement.

BJ Nash
Super Soundproofing CO