Author Topic: Mass Loaded Vinyl Question  (Read 4986 times)

Marc

Mass Loaded Vinyl Question
« on: December 27, 2005, 03:59:59 AM »
Curious if there are any issues with using the MLV sound barrier in an upstairs of a fairly new house (<50 years) with standard supports. In other words will the extra load provide any safety issues? The area that will receive the treatment is the first floor of the house.

Thanks in advance.

Hick

Re: Mass Loaded Vinyl Question
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 05:05:22 AM »
MLV comes in 1/8" and 1/4" thicknesses and weighs 1# and 2# per sq ft respectively.  So a 2-3 hundred sq ft area would weigh 2-3 hundred Lbs.  Negligable...  same as a person walking about.

Hick

Marc

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 06:30:35 PM »
Thank you. Also can you tell me the advantage of MLV over a common roofing paper. I plan to lay down a layer of MLV to stop noise from coming up from the basement below as I don't have enough head room down there to really go crazy with sheetrock etc.

agtrojan

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 12:37:26 AM »
MLV has a 25 STC rating in the 1/8" thickness, 1 lb/sq ft density.  The rating refers to the reduction in sound between the source of the noise and the target (listener).  In simplified terms, it is likely to double the soundproofing quality of your ceiling/floor assembly.

Click on the link to view the MLV spec:

http://www.soundproofing.org/brochures/mass_loaded_vinyl.htm

hickory_stick

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 04:25:59 PM »
Thank you. Also can you tell me the advantage of MLV over a common roofing paper. I plan to lay down a layer of MLV to stop noise from coming up from the basement below as I don't have enough head room down there to really go crazy with sheetrock etc.

Common roofing paper is just that: paper.  Asphalt based roofing materials should not be used in a living space as they continue to off-gas asphalt fumes.

Hick

joel

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 11:49:36 PM »
hello Marc,

Standard structural designs for houses <50 years will support several layers of MLVon a floor.  The building codes usually call for systems that are 5 to 10 times the load ever expected to be put on any part of a structure.  Structural is the 1st priority of building codes.

Joel