Author Topic: Soundproofing the floor to reduce drum noise  (Read 25349 times)

Lesley Mack

Soundproofing the floor to reduce drum noise
« on: December 30, 2005, 03:32:18 PM »
I got an electronic drum kit, with the intention of playing without disturbing the neighbours.

However, even from my living room, you can hear the incessant rat-tat-tat of the sticks hitting the pads fairly loudly.

As music lovers, this doesn't bother us in the slightest, but I'm not sure the neighbours in the flat below will agree.  Whatever we hear through the wall from each other must be nothing compared to the rattling they can hear through the floor, especially the bass drum pedal (which is pretty much identical to the pedal on a conventional kit).

I'm torn between asking the the neighbours how bad the noise is (out of courtesy) and not mentioning it (so as not to draw more attention to the kit and exacerbate the problem)!

I was hoping I could just buy some kind of miracle soundproof floor mat, but it seems that the only mats available for drum kits are more for preventing the drums slipping.

Has anyone got any practical and preferably economical solutions?

Cheers  :P

Dov

Re: Soundproofing the floor to reduce drum noise
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 12:29:40 AM »
Hi Lesley,

I have the same thing in my flat, the chap downstairs eventually came up to complain a few years ago, looked like he'd taken an earbashing from his wife to go and complain! I hated the fact that it had distured them that much as i am considerate. It also made me feel bad about practising which is not good so prevention is definetly better than waiting for that impending knock on the door.

The best solution i came up with was to put the kick drum pedal on top of 2/3 inches of med soft foam with mdf on top of that. You have to adjust your seat to allow for the extra height off the floor. i then did the same thing to the four points which the frame sits on too.

Adding an acoustic mat would probably help deaden the sound aswell, although i havent bothered with this. ITs not an ideal solution but it should  take the top end frequency out of the sound.

Also i think the problem with my neighbour was that i was practising for half an hr here or there 3 times a day. Now i stick to about an hr at between the same time everyday so they can go out if it still bothers them.

Hope this helps and keep up the practising!
Dov

Dov

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 12:36:22 AM »
BTW im not sure what pads you have but on my v-drum set the hi hat is the loudest tappy part, so i stuck down the rubber off of a practise pad. It still triggers the pad and competly gets rid of the tapping.

Lesley Mack

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 09:14:02 AM »
Hi

Thanks a lot for the tips - much appreciated.

Lesley

biged310

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 05:14:11 AM »
I can't believe I found my exact probelm. I live in a condo and the guy downstairs complains at the slighest noise. After years of not playing I finally though I found the perfect answer with my top of the line v-drums. But I discovered that the kick pedala and hi hat do revererate on the floor. I don't want to stop playing.

I really only play 1/2 hour to an hour a day during the week, mostly between 6pm and 8pm. On the weekend mostly in the afternoon. I never start before 10 am and stop befor 8pm.

I will try the above advice. I hop it helps.

calibrand

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 06:06:01 PM »
I have the same issue - just bought an electronic kit with solid gum-rubber pads, and on the third day of playing was told I was shaking pictures off the walls of my downstairs neighbor. I'm sure this is due to the vibration created by the battery of the pads, so it's shear vibration and not really the sound that's at issue.

I found an article by one person who built a 'stage' out of foam bath mats and used partially inflated bicycle inner tubes to absorb vibration: http://maryniuk.blogspot.com/2007/10/anti-vibration-stage-for-your-e-drums.html

I've also read tons of info on various vibration dampening materials and techniques and wonder if any would really help here? I thought a stage built of plywood with a dampening material layer standing on short legs with a vibration barrier (like these Sorbothane discs) might be worth a shot. Of course, these are much more expensive, and I don't have a clue if they'd work any better than the inner tubes.