Author Topic: Noise Wall construction  (Read 4613 times)

askme233

Noise Wall construction
« on: October 07, 2005, 02:29:08 PM »
Ya gotta love the internet:  30 minutes of surfing and I find a whole forum dedicated to my problem.

While I work in OC and am probably the guy flying by on Imperial or the 5, I live on the East Coast.  I have recently purchased 150 year old home with 3ft thick stone walls.  Someone long ago installed storm windows and inside is nice and quite.

Outside, however, the property lays along about 150' of heavily travelled two lane road.  The property slopes down gently from the road with the house set back about 30 feet.

I plan to build a wall along the entire road (no room for a berm).  In my area many houses have 10' high stone walls obviously built when that would't cost more than the house.

Nevertheless, I would like to buld something that has the look of whitewashed masonry over stone (to match the house) and am looking for a material that won't break the bank.

I was considering Durock over styrofoam (or other filler) runs between real masonry pillars.  I also saw several companies selling 4x12 noise wall panels, but am not certain of the cost.  Any ideas?  Admins: do you sell products in this space?

Crazy ideas welcome.

norbuls

Re: Noise Wall construction
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 08:43:24 PM »
I am having the same traffic noise problem as you. Did you ever get any useful response to whether there are more effective wall barriers than wood that also don't cost a fortune?

askme233

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 03:24:16 AM »
nope.  Thought this group would be more active.  I did get good confirmation that Durock panels mounted on a backing of some sort are effective as one of the commercial sound wall companies uses this method for thir products.

john bergstrom

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 05:00:42 AM »
askme233:

You have an interesting idea there.  Any sort of barrier with mass will give you some sound reduction, but I don't think Durock is suitable for outdoor use.  I know I left some sheets out through the winter (under a plastic tarp) and just the moisture in the air caused the panels to effloresce, rendering them useless.  Also, styrofoam probably wouldn't be strong enough to do the job.  You could build a stud wall (out of pressure-treated wood) between the pillars, put some insulation in the cavity and put a sheet on each side.  You'd have to put some kind of masonry or stucco veneer on the durock to protect it from weather and maybe a capstone too.  If there were no gaps in the wall, this would cut down the noise signifigantly.  I doubt you could build a 10' high wall, though.  I think 6' is the maximum in most areas.  
Another idea:  There is a company called Superior Walls (superiorwalls.com) that makes pre-fabricated foundation walls that basically bolt together.  I think they run about a $50 per linear foot, but i suppose it depends on the area.  Maybe you could adapt these panels for your wall.  

anything