Author Topic: bass noise from below  (Read 9006 times)

S Brower

bass noise from below
« on: January 11, 2006, 06:05:10 AM »
I live in an apartment that is fully carpeted but has thin floors.  We can hear bass noises from our neighbors below.  I've tried noise reduction ear muffs, ear plugs, and a white noise machine, but nothing seems to be able to drown out the noise.  Are there any products such as ear muffs made especially for bass noises?  Is there any kind of material we could lay over our carpet to help reduce the noise?  We cannot tear up the carpet to put anything underneath.  This is driving me insane; I can't sleep!  Any advice would be appreciated.

john bergstrom

Re: bass noise from below
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 02:48:49 AM »
I definitely feel your pain on this one.  I was in a similar situation a few years ago, with a real jerk living below me.  That annoying dull 'thump, thump, thump' coming up through the floor at all hours is like sandpaper on your nerves.  Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do.  The deep bass frequencies have so much energy (relatively speaking) they actually vibrate the whole building. Other than convincing the landlord to add a lot more mass to the floor/ceiling or structurally decoupling the assembly (resilient channels installed on his ceiling) I think you may be out of luck.  Call me cynical, but I've found that as long as the money is rolling in, landlords don't give a shit about who's making noise and certainly aren't willing to spend the money to make their buildings liveable.  
Sounds like you should consider moving.  I know from my experience that older buildings are oftentimes better at isolating noise - higher density lath and plaster on the walls instead of drywall, higher ceilings and beefier structural members help a lot.  

Good luck,
John

S Brower

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 03:41:32 AM »
Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated.  I know what you mean about apartment living--it's not great, but the cost of houses around here are through the roof.  We actually did manage to come up with a solution that seems to do a pretty good job of drowning out the noise.  We made a CD of white noise of a low drone that seems to cancel out the bass noise, and which we can fall asleep to, thank goodness.  You can also buy CDs of white noise, that way you can turn it up louder than a white noise machine!  Thanks again for your reply, take care. :)

lh

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 10:25:34 PM »
Hi,
Can you tell me what you used to make a low drone CD? 
Thanks,
LH