Author Topic: soundproofing for my salon  (Read 3808 times)

catherine ramos

soundproofing for my salon
« on: January 13, 2006, 07:39:56 AM »
Hello.  Wee have a room in my salon researved for massage.  I just brought on a new massage thearapist and she feels it is too loud.  The room is right off the center of the main building.  Should I get a soundproof door?  Add a door sweep?  Should I just add something to the door?  I am clueless.  What can I do?  It is only one wall and the door that the noise really comes through.  
Thanks
Salon and Day Spa Owner
Santa Maria

agtrojan

Re: soundproofing for my salon
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 07:20:21 PM »
A simple way of reducing noise between rooms is to apply 2 layers of Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) barrier over the existing wall then add a new sheet of drywall.  This will add about 35 STC to the wall reducing the noise by as much as 75%.

Click on the following link to view the spec for the MLV:

http://www.soundproofing.org/brochures/mass_loaded_vinyl.htm

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 07:28:29 PM »
Do the door FIRST.  Over 90% of the sound energy can leak in through a hollow-core, non-sealed door.  Add a good-fitting sweep and some gasket around the perimeter.  You'll probably get satisfactory results from these simple things.

agtrojan

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 07:33:13 PM »
Soundproofing doors is one of the most frequently asked questions.  There is an entire page dedicated to describe recommendations to treat the space between the door and the floor as well as any air gaps around the door frame.

Adding density to the door will further reduce the noise.  Use Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) barrier with adhesive backing to apply a layer directly on the surface of the door.  Measure and cut the MLV then remove the backing to expose the adhesive.  Apply the MLV over the inside surface of the door.  The inside surface refers to the side that the door swings open.  You can change the color of the black MLV by applying water-based, latex enamel paint.

Check out the following page for more details:

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/soundproofing_doors.htm

anything