Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need an answer right now? Go to http://soundproofing.org, or,  FEEDBACK

Or call us toll-free at 888-942-7723 8-5 Pacific time Weekdays. 

If we're not in, send a email to supersoundproofing@gmail.com

You can get a free report on soundproofing by going  HERE

MAINSITE

Author Topic: Train Noise  (Read 5350 times)

Kevin

Train Noise
« on: January 14, 2006, 04:11:11 PM »

Anyone out there who knows the best way to reduce (or completely elminate ;D) noise from train whistles. I live about 1/4 mile away from the tracks which constantly have trains passing. I've considered soundproofwindows.com and magnetite, but not sure how effective they would be. Any help would be appreciated.

abby67

Re: Train Noise
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 07:25:43 AM »

Hello
I posted the other day regarding our experience with Sound Proof Windows.  I don't think they'd completely eliminate train noise, especially the whistle.  It would probably reduce it considerably but depending on how sensitive you are to the noise it may or may not be enough.  The annoying noise we were dealing with was the beeping noise that construction trucks make when backing up.  The Sound Proof windows reduced the noise enough so that if I'm sleeping it doesn't wake me up.  If I'm up I can still hear the beeping but it no longer annoys me.  Before we got the windows I was using earplugs.  The windows actually work just as well or better than the earplugs.  The problem for me with wearing earplugs is that I wasn't able to hear my toddler if when he called out to me.  I'm sure that if I wore earplugs now with the Sound Proof windows I wouldn't hear the beeping at all.

Hope that helps. :)

Colleen

Sound blocking curtains  would really help here!  See http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/curtains.htm

BJ Nash

chris

Re: Train Noise
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 03:31:17 PM »

I am having the same issue with train noise.  You wouldn't happen to live in LV would you?  I am going to try the cheaper way of pluging the bedroom windows first and if that does not work I will get the interior windows.

Good Luck!

Chris