Author Topic: Hay bales vs Cellulose  (Read 3696 times)

Vieyra17

Hay bales vs Cellulose
« on: January 26, 2006, 09:06:24 PM »
Hello users, l am looking on options for isolating two rooms from each other as effectively as possible (for buget reasons the room inside the room solution  is out of question).
I use one room for band rehersal, a collegue uses the other for music production an mixing.
The wall between rooms is about 15"thick, built with brick or possibly adobe. Let me say that I write from Mexico City and  the rooms in question are inside a late 19th century house.Back then interiors where big, cellings high and walls thick.
Since space is not a problem I was considering stacking a layer of hay bales on my side of the wall , but a friend has recomended a cellulose spray-on system.
I find it difficult to believe that a 2" layer of cellulose can be more effective than a hay bale wall.
Any advise out there?
My regards to all you soundproofers.

supersoundproofing

Re: Hay bales vs Cellulose
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 01:30:08 AM »
You are right, cellulose has little sound "PROOFING", but good absorbantcy and will deaden the room.
Bagging the hay bales will add to their sound blocking qualities.

BJ Nash

Super Soundproofing Co

Vieyra17

Re: Hay bales vs Cellulose
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 06:55:23 AM »
Thanks for your reply BJ.
I have seen the catalog for this spray-on product. It offers three solutions: one for noise reduction, another claims to reduce noise plus acoustic insulation, the third calims an up to 58 sound transmission control when sprayed on a  wood stud assemblies.
What do you estimate the total STC raiting would be for the bagged hay bales together with a 16" brick wall?
Thanks again,
Vieyra17

Generally, cellulose has proven fairly ineffective as a sound control product.

No way to estimate STC- What frequencies are we talking about?...

BJ Nash