Author Topic: Soundproof Ceiling Question  (Read 4035 times)

Scott

Soundproof Ceiling Question
« on: January 29, 2006, 04:21:26 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Question for you soundproof experts.  I live in an apartment which my family owns the complex, so doing repairs/improvements is no problem.

My main concern is the bedroom.  Not so much as keeping noise out (although I am sure that through the soundproofing it will help a little which is nice), but I am more concerned with keeping sound in and not disrupting the above neighbors.

I have class late and would like to watch TV or carry on a normal converstion that doesn't involve whispering when I come home.

Currently here is the materials/ceiling/floor from top to bottom.

50 year old very thin wood floor

Subflooring??? Don't know but if there is any it's very thin.

Joins.  Insulation, not sure.

75 year old plaster ceiling with small areas missing but mostly there

6-7 inches of air

dropped ceiling.

So here is what I was thinking.  I need to keep it under or around $200.  The ceiling area is 15 x 15 feet.

I was going to go with the 5/8 fire drywall onto the plaster ceiling.  Then I was going to put Homasote after that.  So from top to bottom it would be plaster ceiling, drywall, homasote.

Then I was going to put some cardboard backing onto the 2x2 dropped ceiling tiles.

I was also thinking of sticking some insulation between the dropped ceiling and the old ceiling.

The walls in the room are not a problem and are very solid.  They have studs and then those little wooden piece you see in old construction.  It also has some pretty think plaster and then wood paneling.

My real concern is the ceiling though and keeping noise in.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Footstep elimination would be nice but not a priority, but I am mainly concerned with conversation to maybe medium laughing noise level being kept out of the upstairs.  

THANKS!!!

Scott

Re: Soundproof Ceiling Question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 07:03:37 PM »
Anyone???

I could really use some help here before I waste alot of money and a whole weekend installing it.

Scott- it's really best to use tried and proven methods unless you have the time and money to experiment. See
http://www.soundproofing.org/treatments_for_sound_control.htm for some accepted ways of doing it.

BJ Nash

Scott

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 04:37:16 AM »
Unfortunately I do not have the time and money for such an option.

So how is my idea of using the homasote and drywall?

Any other suggestions to keep it under $200?

Scott

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 04:20:50 AM »
Anyone have any experience with just drywall and homasote?  I know it's not the best option, but anyone have a reduction with it?

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 01:50:35 AM »
You don't want to use Homasote on the ceilings.  It's not very strong.  You'll be paranoid that the drywall is going to fall down on your head.  If you want to use the tried-and-true method (fiberglass batts, resilient channels and double drywall) I figure you might be able to do it for $300-350 (materials only) but resilient channels are tricky to work with, especially on a ceiling application.  You might have to experiment, get some experience through trial and error (and buy some extra channels and drywall, too.)
For a different method use Green Glue (audioalloy.com) to put another layer of drywall with a special glue.  You won't have any insulation in the cavities, and this will hurt performance a bit but, on the bright side, you won't have to do any demolition.  This might come in at or around your $200 mark....