Author Topic: Soundproofing myself when sleeping...  (Read 4136 times)

sleeper

Soundproofing myself when sleeping...
« on: February 05, 2006, 09:37:56 AM »
Hi everyone!

When I sleep I often talk very loud and sometimes even yell. There is no medical solution for my problem. However I have nearly always run into trouble with my neighbours everywhere I have lived. Very often they don't believe me and accuse me of harrasing them during night. I have grown tired of problems with poor sound proofing in apartments, but I cannot afford to get a house of my own.

Is there any way to soundproof my bed....in a kind of a tent made of some material that would muffle the sounds as efficiently as possible. I cannot make any permanent arrangements on the walls, as I need to move quite often from one city to another. Any ideas on how to deal with this problem are greatly appreciated.

johnk

Re: Soundproofing myself when sleeping...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 07:53:22 PM »
Perhaps some kind of headboard that you can construct that has sound absorbing foam, and a MLV backing. The headboard would also need to partially extend a foot or two on each side, as well as over your head. It would look like a rectangle that was cut into 1/3.

Construct it out of the heaviest wood that can be found in the hardware store, then on the inside place 1/8" thick MLV. On top of the MLV, place some sound absorbing foam. This is kind of similar to what might be done to isolate a noisey piece of machinery, except of course you don't want to completely enclose yourself in a box. But you can at least partially reduce what your neighbors hear!

sleeper

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 05:24:28 AM »
Thanks for the idea....that is the first one I have got from anywhere.

I know it might seem funny for asking something for silencing myself and so far on many other forums I have received only insults and ridicule, so thank you again for answering this question.

agtrojan

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 12:20:05 AM »
Here is another idea from a customer who actually installed the following over the wall in his apartment AND it greatly reduced the noise between rooms:

1) Buy a grommett kit
2) Use 54" wide MLV with adhesive backing
3) Install 3-4 grommets about 1.5" from the top edge of the MLV
4) Remove 48" of the backing to expose the adhesive
5) Apply 2 strips of 24" wide x 94" long Acoustic Cotton Fiber Insulation over the exposed adhesive
6)repeat 2-6 until you have enough panels to cover the width of your wall
7) install the panels such that the 6" area covered with the adhesive backing overlaps 6" of the MLV with Cottton Insulation
8) Hang the MLV panels over your wall with the MLV against the drywall

This should muffle the noise enough to a tolerable level.

Take a look at the spec for the MLV:

http://www.soundproofing.org/brochures/mass_loaded_vinyl.htm

Here is the spec for the Acoustic Cotton Insulation:

http://www.soundproofing.org/brochures/SSP%20Cotton%20Fiber%20Insulation.htm

anything