Author Topic: Footfall Hell  (Read 2239 times)

Footfall Hell
« on: February 08, 2006, 06:38:58 AM »
[glb]FOOTFALL FROM HELL - BASEMENT UNITS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL WITHOUT PROPER INSULATION[/glb]

I'm planning on insulating my ceiling in my room in my ongoing effort to escape from low frequency thumps from feet.

I'm planning the following:

1)  4" Mineral wool stapled in between the joists at the BOTTOM leaving an airspace between the floorboard and the wool.

2)  Sound clips with furring strips attached to them.

3)  Resilient channel attached to the furring strips.

4)  MLV or sme kind of sound absorbtive mat glued to the back of:

5)  Cement impregnated particleboard or cement-gypsum board used for showers screwed in to the resilient channels.

Can you  comment on my overall setup and I have these questions:

1)  Is 4" mineral wool generally available to the public?  The only mineral wool I have found is Owen Corning "Safe'n'Sound" 3".

2)  Are resilient channels redundant if I'm using sound clips and vice versa, or do they compliment eachother?

3)  I've read here that RC2 should be used for ceilins and RC1 for walls.  I bought the only channels that Home Depot had, how can I tell if it's RC1 or RC2?

4)  I notice you sell up till 2" Sound Absorbtive Mat.  What are the respective STC ratings and which minimum thickness will give the highest STC rating for a footfal application.

Thanks!

And a peaceful sleep to all.