Author Topic: Truth in Advertising!!!  (Read 2293 times)

vemoo

Truth in Advertising!!!
« on: February 10, 2006, 01:55:44 PM »
Has anyone compared performance of a system of high density wool batts between studs, homosote over, under new sheetrock versus the solo INK 520????!!?????
I have been using the wool/homosote, and the sound deadning is really excellent. I'm really having difficulty spending 10 times the cost of sheetrock on this "new technology". Is there any comparative study out there showing the deadening versus dollar relationship? Can any of you wonderful guys sell me on the 520 over the homosote? I mean in terms of bang for buck, a layer of homosote, then sheetrock is under a buck a sq. ft. The "New Technology" is around $5/sq. ft.

john bergstrom

Re: Truth in Advertising!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 06:29:05 AM »
If by '520' you're referring to Quietrock, I'd say stay away from it like the plague, until you win the lottery or your oil well gushers, anyway....  I've inquired about the stuff, and $100+ for esentially a sheet of drywall is way too much for me.  I don't want myself or anyone who is working for me to 'measure once, cut twice', make an error and possibly throw $100 or more of my profit down the drain.  No thanks to that!

I'd say you're on the right path.  Stick to what is tried and true.  Even 5/8" Type-X drywall is only $9 a sheet.  Resilient channels give excellent results when installed properly, Homasote is a good product, Green Glue and MLV (even though they add $30 and $48 per sheet, respectively) can yield results almost as good as Quietrock. And, more importantly, with those products, you're in control.  You can decide which product to use and how much soundproofing is really necessary.  You don't feel obligated to pay the extortionary prices of Quietrock.  

If they want to be really successful, I think the Quietrock people need to shift production to China and get their price down.  If they could achieve $32 a sheet ($1/sq. ft.) they would rule the soundproofing world.

anything