Author Topic: Room in basement  (Read 2299 times)

Quiet, Peace, and goodwil

Room in basement
« on: February 11, 2006, 11:31:37 AM »
Is there a way to totally eliminate footfall?

Can we have a discussion here because I haven't seen any definitive answers yet.

Theoretically ;D if I mounted sandbags between the studs would that be enough mass to eliminate all footfall? (Would be cheap too just a trip to the beach and some leakproof/moldproof/etc.. bags.

supersoundproofing

• Administrator
  • I love Super Soundproofing!
    • Super Soundproofing Co
Re: Room in basement
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 06:01:38 AM »
It's not the problem of the space between the joists-  It's the joists transmitting the sound vibrations!

BJ Nash
Super Soundproofing Co
www.soundproofing.org

john bergstrom

Re: Room in basement
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 06:13:56 AM »
Totally eliminate footfall...huh?  Yes, in a structure with 2-ft thick concrete slabs and thick foam pads to walk on, I doubt you would ever hear footsteps...

But, it's harder in a wood-framed structure.  

I don't think your solution will work very well.  More than likely the sandbags would eventually fall through the drywall and smash up the furniture or injure or kill somebody.  You'd have to screw & glue up some thick plywood/OSB to hold all that weight, and even that might not be enough strength.  
No, the problem is not just a lack of mass, but a lack of decoupling.  You could add layer after layer of plywood on the floor side and layer after layer of drywall on the ceiling side without much improvement.  In short, the vibration still has a direct path to travel from their floor to your ceiling.  And in solid matter, sound travels a lot better than it does in air.  But if you decouple the surfaces - a floating floor panel and resiliently-mounted ceiling, you could get a significant improvement and if you added insulation, double up the ceiling drywall, and put a carpet and pad on the upper floor, you'll break the vibration enough and see a drastic reduction in footfall noise.  But, if someone above bounces a basketball or decides to do jumping jacks, you might hear that.....