Author Topic: R13 or R19 in between our basement and upper area?  (Read 6045 times)

thebiglebowski

R13 or R19 in between our basement and upper area?
« on: February 17, 2006, 09:00:50 PM »
We're finishing out our "basement" and I need to figure out which insulation I should get. (It's not a true basement b/c none of it is underground.)

Anyways, we have ducts and plumbing running through the area in between (in quite a few places), and I'm wondering if I should spend the extra money for the R19, or if my efforts are futile anyways due to all the sound transmitting obstacles in the way.

Here's the floorplan. I do plan on making the music room as soundproof as possible, but again, I may be spinning my wheels. I'm not sure why I'm even posting this picture...  ;D

thebiglebowski

Re: R13 or R19 in between our basement and upper a
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 09:02:59 PM »
That's weird.  :P Let's see if this works... If not, I will patiently await your responses!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/fixinchitlins/Basementwithmeasurements.jpg

I fixed this link for you- use the url link not the img link for addresses...

A better choice for a substitute for fiberglass batting is recycled cotton.

We have it and you can find out more about it at

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/natural_fiber.htm

BJ Nash

johnbergstromslc

Re: R13 or R19 in between our basement and upper a
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 04:17:33 AM »
If you're talking about insulation for thermal performance, definitely get the thickest stuff.  It will save you money in the long run.  If you're talking about insulation for noise control, use fiberglass - it's the cheapest and it works just fine.  Just make sure that the joist/stud cavities are at least 75% full of insulation.  But keep in mind that the insulation isn't going to kill all the noise, it will just stop the cavities from resonating and will only add about 6dB in attenuation.  Mass and decoupling will deaden the noise more effectively.  Doubling up the drywall and mounting it on resilient channels will get you the quiet room you seek.