Author Topic: Is it the Floor or the Walls?  (Read 2618 times)

andyman91

Is it the Floor or the Walls?
« on: March 03, 2006, 10:57:14 PM »
I just bought a condo with my girlfriend. Our downstairs neighbor plays the cello & gives lessons. It's not that bad, but I'm looking into solutions because any noise bothers me and I'm not ready to rehearse with my band there in retaliation yet.

I was wondering if the noise is more likely to be coming from the floor (her ceiling) or the walls that we share (she has the bottom, I have the top)?

Or could it be coming from a shared chimney?

I'd hate to address one issue and find it was something else entirely.

johnbergstromslc

Re: Is it the Floor or the Walls?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 12:36:53 AM »
Yes, yes, and yes.  All of the above.  Obviously, with the most surface area (and shortest sound path), the floor is transmitting the most energy.  Work on that first.  Then, depending on how bad it is, you might have to do the walls.  Not a lot you can do about the fireplace - try making a decent looking insert that will fit snug in the opening.  You can remove it when you want a fire and keep it in otherwise - it will save you energy too!

andyman91

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 12:58:20 AM »
Thanks. I'm glad to hear I should start with the floor, as I think that will be the easier than the walls. Also we don't like the current floors.

But it's also disappointing that that will not be the end of it!

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 02:42:23 AM »
Andy:

You might get lucky and only have to do the floors.  Hard to say how bad your problem is without seeing the construction.  If the walls are transmitting noise, you might try a product I've used: Green Glue.  You can glue a second layer of drywall on top of the first with viscoelastic glue.  If you're interested, check out: audioalloy.com

John

andyman91

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 07:03:54 AM »
My girlfriend said tonight that she felt it was mostly coming from the fireplace. That  would be good, as a removable plug seems like the simplest solution of the three.

But I'll definitely check out the Green Glue. A second drywall on top of the first somehow sounds less drastic than tearing out the old, insulating for sound, and putting in new drywall.