Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need an answer right now? Go to http://soundproofing.org, or,  FEEDBACK

Or call us toll-free at 888-942-7723 8-5 Pacific time Weekdays. 

If we're not in, send a email to supersoundproofing@gmail.com

You can get a free report on soundproofing by going  HERE

MAINSITE

Author Topic: Window noise  (Read 6134 times)

Joshua

Window noise
« on: January 19, 2006, 08:44:49 PM »

I rent an apartment in downtown dallas and literally on one of the major highways ( I mean i could reach out and touch the cars).  Short of killing myself from the constant flow of traffic all day and night and my roomate for picking the place out and me agreeing to it before seeing it what can i do to reduce the noise? Should i put up thick curtains, get an air purifier, ear plugs don't work?  I think i have already become addicited to sleeping pills!!!!! Any ideas would help!

Thanks,
Joshua

btp2112

Re: Window noise
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 07:10:25 AM »

i live near a busy street in san francisco and rent an apartment. I purchased a soundproof window (lookup soundproof windows on internet - located in freemont, ca - they deliver outside ca), which is intended as a second window, made of a special glass, that is mounted on the inside of your wall or window sill - a 3 or 4" space between the windows helps maximize sound reduction. This is very effective and will block the sound of normal traffic flow, although loud semis, buses, and motorcyles can still be heard, but will become background noise. It's easy to remove whenever you move - the downside is the price - i paid $700 or so for a window 5' X 6' (will be cheaper for a smaller window)

btp2112

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 07:16:56 AM »

depending on the size of your window(s), also consider soundproofing mat - there are instructions on this website and it can be purchased here. Also called a window "plug", it's a thick mat that you wedge into your window - if a larger window, you will require a backboard and the trick is to make it slightly larger than the window for a tight fit, otherwise the sound will still pass thru. This should also be effective, but the downside is it blocks light. If you have a large window like me, it becomes more challenging to manage (as it can get heavy and tedious to cut properly and get the right fit) - which is why i ultimately chose the full solution. Acoustical curtains are unlikely to be effective for your scenario (maybe a 20% sound reduction)

btp2112

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 07:19:04 AM »

on a final note, you could also consider a white noise machine - check out a local "Sharper Image" store - the one you'd want is around $150 and has 50 sounds

sf_me

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 04:04:53 PM »

Hi, does anyone know if even the optimal window sound proofing will do anything about garbage trucks and other large engine noise?  

I'm inclined to do at least something about the street noise, but since every morning (yes, I said every morning) there are garbage trucks on my streeet, I'm wondering if I can make a difference by any window covering?

I've lived on a busy street, and we had huge and think drapes, and they seemed to help a lot.  I think the windows were double paned as well.  But the windows were on the living room.  My current windows are on my bedroom, and they're large.  Nice light, not nice sound.

So while I wasn't on a major highway, I was on a four lane road running down San Francisco, and the heavy curtains did work for us (not sure what the windows were).

supersoundproofing

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 06:58:20 PM »

Some options on sound control through windows is at
http://www.soundproofing.org/options_sound_control_for_windows.htm including a way to make your own interior window.

BJ Nash