Author Topic: Barking Dog  (Read 57322 times)

Karen

Barking Dog
« on: December 09, 2003, 09:09:00 AM »
We just moved into our first house about 3 months ago, and I already want to move.  Our neighbor had two dogs, and one recently died.  Now the other one barks all day long.  All three of our bedrooms are on the side of the house where the dog is.  My husband works from home and is unable to get any work done.  It sounds like their dog in the house with us.  We've tried talking to the neighbors, but they have told us that we just have to live with it.  Will some of the soundproofing techniques in this website work for these kinds of noise problems?

GB

Re: Barking Dog
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 11:43:25 AM »
I have a similar dog issue.  Any advice would be helpful!

Sue

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 06:00:42 PM »
Every town has an ordinance about barking dogs.  Call the humane society and complain, or the city police.   The poor dog must miss its friend.  Believe me, in regards to where one lives, there is no perfect world. If it's not a barking dog, it's a neighbor with loud music or traffic noise, etc.  Even if you moved, there would be something worse at the next place.

gina williams

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 10:51:46 AM »

I have a neighbor who has 5  to 7 hunting dogs in his back yard which backs up to my yard.  It is terrible.  I work from home and I listen to those dogs all day.  I can't believe I haven't moved.  The county has been of no help.  I have complained to the police but they can't do much either. The dogs owner could care less. I've been wanting a deck but  don't dare because of the noise.

Paul F

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 01:15:04 PM »
I have 2 dogs who tend to bark when anyone passes by.  I have a small portable unit that emits a high-pitched, unharmful  sound that only they can hear each time they bark.  

The unit has an auto and manual mode. In this way, I can use the unit only at those times when they need to be quiet.

My neighbor behind me has hunting dogs running loose in his backyard, and they are horrible barkers.  I now take the sound unit outside with me and if they begin to bark, I  go to the back fence and press the manual button on the sound unit.  After only 2 times, they now do not bark at me when I go outside.

These units are available at any pet store, and are guaranteed to be non-harmful to the dogs.

supersoundproofing

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 09:31:12 AM »
Paul, thanks very much for your great suggestion. Soundproofing by remodeling against barking dogs is a very expensive proposition, to say the least.

You solution is far superior to the throat operation that many folks have had performed by vets in desperation on their pets to quiet them.

BJ Nash
Super Soundproofing Co

barkingmad

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 02:38:38 PM »
Please help me.  My formerly nice neighbors are torturing us with their howling, barking dog.  He sits at the French doors facing my bedroom window about 20 feet away and howls the minute they leave until the minute they come home.  They are no longer "living" in the house and leave the dog to howl all through the night. They come twice a day to feed and let the dog out for a leak.  We talked to them about it very politely several times and they would apologize but not solve the problem.  Now they are not returning our phone calls and they are avoiding us.  The husband is a city cop and good friends with the animal control officer.  A call to the city isn't likely to help us.

I'd like to make a window plug and wondered if there is a diagram that shows how it goes together.  

Please, we are desperate for sleep and for these idiots to move away for good.

Barking Mad! :'(

Hickory Stick

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 03:32:29 PM »

Bart

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 03:48:31 PM »
I've wondered if a speaker and amp were hooked up to a mike so as to feedback the barking to the animal- would he stop?  Maybe some kind of slight delay...

Anyway, such a recording may be useful to play back to the owners for when you left and they were home....

supersoundproofing

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 06:10:03 PM »
I just saw a TV article that mentioned that dogs stop barking and listen when a certain "laughing" dog sound is played to them!
This could be a real help in quieting these animals.

BJ Nash Super Soundproofing CO

edward geiselman

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2005, 01:29:12 PM »
 :-/after 3 years of laminating windows, buttering up the neighbor, calling the police, working animal control to no avail.... i spent $500 on a lawyer - the dogs were gone in one week.  Nothing works like a threatening lawyer letter.  Do not go through 3 years to come to that conclusion yourself - your neighbor certainly could care less about you.  

Hickory Stick

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2005, 02:24:18 PM »
More about the laughing dog sound that calms dogs is at:  http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/story?id=1370911  

Hick

tdlamb

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2006, 12:20:24 PM »
I moved into a townhouse almost two years ago and have had problems with barking dogs on both sides of me.  I have tried several things, some of which were effective and some which weren't.  The first thing I tried was talking with the neighbors.  The neighbor on one side was very nice and has pretty much taken care of the problem of that side.  The neighbors on the other side would say, "Oh, I'm so sorry, but then would do nothing to take care of their dogs barking for hours at a time.  Their dogs seemed to be neglected (the only shelter they have in our hot New Mexico sun is a plastic dog house and are they are never taken for walks that I can see).  I finally reported them to the city officials who came out to check for abuse.  They were given 10 days to take care of the problem.  The problem has been 75% better since they were threatened with having to go to court.  I did try one of those barking dog CD's, where it supposedly emits a high sound which bothers the dogs ears.  This was a total waste of money because it didn't help at all.  I tried feeding the dogs myself because they always seemed to be ravenous, but this only made the problem worse because every time they would see me outside or through the windows, they would start barking for me to come out and feed them.  The one thing I tried, which did seem to work very well . . . fill an old coffee can (the ones made out of metal) with nails, screws, etc.  Every time the dog starts to bark, shake the can very loudly.  When I did this, the dogs next door would put their tail between their legs and run for the dog house.  They seemed to hate this noise and would stop barking and go into their dog house.  It is rather inconvenient to have to stop what you are doing and go outside and do this, but it really seemed to work.  

Autumn

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 11:16:17 AM »
Karen! It sounds like you are living on the other side of my neighbor. My neighbor had 2 dogs and one died. The other one ( an alaskan malamute/husky mix) barks night and day. I have been recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia and there is also talk that I may have lupus. My parents have gone over there to my neighbors on numerous occassions explaining that I am very sick and that their dog's barking is preventing me from sleeping or any possible recovery for me. They don't care! We have tried contacting humane society and animal control, but there are no laws against dog barking in my area. The city council is no just discusssing this issue. I am now trying to find products to soundproof my bedroom. I cannot afford an attorney let alone to move. I don't understand why there are laws protecting the dog more than a disabled citizen. Karen good luck with your situation. Try going to your other neighbors and discussing the matter. Maybe together you can come up with a solution. Karen, I might even be one of your neighbors. It sounds like it.

drifter

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 08:33:09 PM »
Next door i have 2 new barking dogs,my bedroom is closest to their yard, 6 months ago i installed sound proof windows
life was great until these new dogs have arrived, when they bark it sounds like they are in my house.
 I am going to move to the other bedroom on the other end of the house and sound proof it to the hill,my question is
This room had wood beam cellings  so i already insulated and drywalled the cellings could i get way with just sound proofing the walls?? The room has one standard size window, should i remove this window rather than going with a sound proof window for maximum sound proofing?? And i know its not going to be cheap but how much am i looking at spending
to totally do the room up maxmium all the way??  Thanks, sorry for the long questions.

anything