Author Topic: Soundproofing possible?  (Read 3945 times)

braker

Soundproofing possible?
« on: February 23, 2006, 01:44:40 AM »
Hi,

I would love to get any advice regarding my situation:

I'm about to open a nightclub, but the location that I want has a big problem: It has three floors of residential flats above it. It used to be a cinema years ago and then it turned into a club until it closed down 8 years ago because the owners would not invest in soundproofing and the neighbours complained.

I have made a sound check myself, brought a sound system (with sub base cabinets) to the place and played at about 110dB (more or less the volume that would be used in the club). When we climbed to the upper floors we did hear the bass and the kick was vibrating in the floor (the main music would be House Music, with constant kick drum).

It didn't seem terrible, but it was noticable.

The area of the venue is crowded and not very quiet at night, so this might make life a bit easier.

The area of the main floor of the club is about 200 square meters, I think it's about 2000 square feet, or a bit more.

I have spoken to many acoustic counsaltents and have recieved many conflicting opinions. Some said that if I have to use sub base speakers, it would be impossible to get rid of the base so it won't bother the neighbours, others say it is possible. The ones who say it's possible quote prices between 10,000 dollars to 200,000 dollars for the whole soundproofing project.

That's quite a huge difference in prices!

So I've decided to try and check for myelf..

I have just read about Green Glue today, and it seems like it could be the solution for my problems regarding price and getting rid of the low frequencies.

However I don't know if Green Glue, or any other material, could really make the difference that I need,

I know I haven't given too many details about the construction of the venue etc. I'm actually learning the details myself at the moment.

Anyhow, any feedback whatsoever would be greatly apprectiated,

Thanks alot,

B

johnbergstromslc

Re: Soundproofing possible?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 04:35:14 AM »
With the magnitude of your noise problem, you should hire a professional (and be prepared to pay a lot).  I doubt anything you do will make much of a difference.

supersoundproofing

Re: Soundproofing possible?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 05:55:47 AM »
You have many different issues so there are many different solutions- but yes, it can be done and won't be cheap.

BJ Nash