Author Topic: ceiling advice, please  (Read 2352 times)

jeff brooks

ceiling advice, please
« on: March 08, 2006, 03:13:53 PM »
Hi.  I live in an old loft building in NYC and, like many others on this board, suffer from footfall and impact sounds from above.  We accept that there is some level of noise that we will have to tolerate, and the unit upstairs is carpeted 80%.  But we really want to soundproof the bedrooms in our loft, about 600 square feet total, so we can all sleep without disturbance.

I own the unit and do not need authorization to make repairs.  And fortunately, I have the money to do the job the right way, once and for all.  And I have some ceiling height to spare.

So, my question is, what is the best solution to dramatically reduce footfall and impact sound in this area?  I'm assuming that tearing down the current sheetrock ceiling and starting from scratch would be the most effective approach.  I also really need to find a great acoustical contractor to perform the work.

I would be so grateful for any advice or suggestions here and will share my results with everyone here once the job is done.

A million thanks!

Jeff

johnbergstromslc

Re: ceiling advice, please
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 12:01:17 AM »
If you can find a great acoustical contractor then you certainly don't need this forum.  He/she can tell you exactly what you need to do.  You are right though, it's easier in most cases to tear out the old work and do it right.  See http://www.soundproofing.org/treatments_for_sound_control.htm