Author Topic: Building New House - Soundproofing?????  (Read 4189 times)

bryers01

Building New House - Soundproofing?????
« on: April 10, 2006, 07:19:12 PM »
I am breaking ground on a new house and my wife and I would like some sound proofing material between our kid’s rooms.  

I’m just looking for something I can do that will reduce the noise level and something that will not cost me out the behind.

Any idea to help would be very much appreciated.  

Thanks
:) :) :)

johnbergstromslc

Re: Building New House - Soundproofing?????
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 03:01:48 AM »
Since you are starting from scratch, you could have your architect specify a staggered-stud wall in between the rooms.  It will only cost a few extra bucks for lumber - 2 X 6 plates and ends, instead of 2 X 4's, and twice as many wall studs - so maybe 35-40 bucks for the lumber and 10 bucks more for labor.  Each room will only lose 1 inch of floor space.  

(You could go with a double wall - just a bit more lumber than a staggered-stud wall, but in my experience, you can get into trouble with fire code violations and have to make modifications that destroy the benefits of double construction.  Also, a double wall is thicker - 9 to 10 inches vs. 7.5 for staggered, so you'd lose more square footage.)

After the wall is framed, fill it with insulation.  You can go with one layer of drywall per side right now, then add another if it's still noisy.  

With one layer drywall per side, you will get an STC of 48-50, 80% quieter than a standard wall.  Two layers could get you 55,  over 90% quieter.  

Just make sure you have good sealing, too..

agtrojan

Re: Building New House - Soundproofing?????
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 11:21:59 PM »
A staggered-stud wall is a good choice.

Adding Acoustic Cotton Fiber Insulation in the wall adds another 10-15 STC.  Take a look at the spec for the product:

http://www.soundproofing.org/brochures/SSP%20Cotton%20Fiber%20Insulation.htm

If you plan to set aside a room for your home theater or media room you may consider adding Green Glue between 2 sheets of drywall to lower the resonant frequency of your wall.  Take a look at the product description, data sheet and installation guide by clicking on the following link:

http://www.greenglue.org/ggsoundproofing.html