Author Topic: Two part foam (handi foam) effectiveness?  (Read 3705 times)

orientblue3

Two part foam (handi foam) effectiveness?
« on: March 20, 2006, 07:09:57 AM »
I have an apartment in a building built around 1950 (NY metro area).  I'm looking into ways to soundproof the apartment.  Can hear next door's TV and conversations (e.g. phone, or when guests are over).  

So I have been reading this site and others for ideas.  

Before I consider the time and expense of putting up another layer of drywall with MLV lining, I wonder if anyone has any comments on effectiveness of spray foam such as fomo/Handi-foam slow rise polyurethane foam?

Thanks!

johnbergstromslc

Re: Two part foam (handi foam) effectiveness?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 02:50:28 AM »
The rigid foam in walls doesn't work too well, just because it's rigid and can transmit noise.  Stick with fiberglass - tried, tested and true.  Don't worry too much about the installation - if it's just for sound, it doesn't have to be perfect.  Just get the cavity at least 75% full and you're good.  It means you'll have to tear off the drywall/plaster already there (with the extra work and expense of replacing it) but when you have the wall gutted, you can see if there are any other issues you need to address first.
Also, don't incorrectly, that foam can sometimes blow apart your walls.  That wouldn't be good....

orientblue3

Re: Two part foam (handi foam) effectiveness?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 04:52:08 AM »
Thank you John!

anything