Author Topic: Noise complaints from neighbors  (Read 3719 times)

camdameron

Noise complaints from neighbors
« on: March 22, 2006, 04:49:27 PM »
Hi there,

Yesterday, I was approached by my landlady for the second time involving a noise complaint.  We live on the first floor of a two-family.  The neighbors upstairs complain constantly that we are too loud.  I work a regular 8-5 job and am in bed watching TV most nights by 8pm.  My boyfriend has a naturally bassy voice and we have to resort to whispering in our own home, where we pay rent, to avoid them complaining.  However, they walk like elephants up there and are constantly running up and down the stairs and slamming doors.

Mostly, my concern is to keep noise in our apartment so as not to bother the upstairs neighbors anymore.  Is there any sort of drapery that I can put on the cieling to keep noise in?  Is there a relatively inexpensive way, without creating a new cieling, to achieve this goal?

Please help.  I like my apartment and dont want to have to move again.

Thanks!

johnbergstromslc

Re: Noise complaints from neighbors
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 04:44:13 AM »
Unlikely any kind of 'bandaid' like that is going to work.  

For floor/ceiling noise reduction you need:.

1. Added mass, both on your side and on theirs
2. Decoupling - resilient channels on your side and a foam underlayment on theirs.
3. Absorbtive insulation - i.e. fiberglass batts in the joist cavities.  

Talk to your landlord - tell her the noise goes both ways.  Let her stand in each apartment and see how much noise you are both subjected to on an average day.  Maybe she will see the need for a remedy and throw some money at the problem.  Convince her that she's making a good investment - tenants are more likely to stay longer if there are less noise issues (less vacancy = more money for her.)   She might 'see the light'.  But, being the cynic I am,  I wouldn't recommend holding your breath either...

Older multifamily dwellings in this country are crap.  There are laws on the books now for sound isolation between units, but older wooden structures are paper-thin rat-traps.  Developers are short-sighted and greedy and maximize their profits by maximizing the discomfort of the people who have to actually live in their buildings...

anything