Author Topic: SProofing - Living Room floor can hear my cold air  (Read 3591 times)

Dave Romesburg

SProofing - Living Room floor can hear my cold air
« on: March 24, 2006, 04:15:41 PM »
Hi i was wondering if someone can help me because the builder couldn't or wouldn't should I say.

I moved into a brand new townhouse 2 years ago. When you walk through my living room most of the time you can hear the joints and the cold air returns in my basement creek. I assume since the entire cold air return system is directly in between the joists of the living room floor this is the reason. The builder was out before and Heartland Homes claims that you only need to pry and jimmy the cold air ducts from the joists and they also put a lot of those little insulation foamy type strips in between the ducts and the joists. This worked for a while obviously, then months later the noise came back and its 100 fold now because anywhere I walk in my living room you can hear major squeaks and flexing in the ductwork under the LR floor, in the basement...

ANY HELP would be appreciated and going back to the builder isn't an option and its too long of a story to even get into that... thanks again

Dave-G

Re: SProofing - Living Room floor can hear my cold
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 01:57:44 PM »
Hi i was wondering if someone can help me because the builder couldn't or wouldn't should I say.

I moved into a brand new townhouse 2 years ago. When you walk through my living room most of the time you can hear the joints and the cold air returns in my basement creek. I assume since the entire cold air return system is directly in between the joists of the living room floor this is the reason. The builder was out before and Heartland Homes claims that you only need to pry and jimmy the cold air ducts from the joists and they also put a lot of those little insulation foamy type strips in between the ducts and the joists. This worked for a while obviously, then months later the noise came back and its 100 fold now because anywhere I walk in my living room you can hear major squeaks and flexing in the ductwork under the LR floor, in the basement...

ANY HELP would be appreciated and going back to the builder isn't an option and its too long of a story to even get into that... thanks again

I had a similar problem in my colonial style house it was only about 2 or 3 years old when i started having this problem too. I ended up "sistering the joists" I think that's the technical name for it. basically, i cut a dozen 10"x2" planks to fit the span of the room and then angled each one of the ends, so that the new joists could fit between the I-beam running down the center and the concrete block on the outside wall. then I bolted the new joists to the old ones with huge carriage bolts. I added a few cross-braces to help out too. after that the floor was rock solid and I could jump up and down in the middle with zero squeaks or duct noise (and I'm 225lbs!)

johnbergstromslc

Re: SProofing - Living Room floor can hear my cold
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 05:13:42 PM »
Get a helper.  Have him/her walk around your house while you are in the basement with a flashlight.  You'll be able to see where the ducts are vibrating/rubbing and be able to find a better solution than your builder.  (You might need a permanent marker to mark the spots, too.)

If the noise is coming from the thin metal vibrating, you might want to check out this product:

http://soundproofing.org/sales/liquid.htm

You basically 'paint' it on and it reduces the vibration by a 'free-layer damping' effect.

anything