Author Topic: upstair neighbor noise  (Read 4324 times)

Arlene Burkett

upstair neighbor noise
« on: March 27, 2006, 04:35:47 PM »
I am also contending with upstairs neighbor noise and I  am at my wits end.  My condo which  I bought in August, 2005 was built in 1981.  When I moved in my upstairs neighbor has carpeting.  About 3 months ago they put in ceramic tile.  I tried to approach them about what kind of floor insultation, but to no avail.  Some fly by night came in and within one day, the tile was in.  I previously alerted the condo assoc. who wrote them letter stating that they must put corking on the floor before putting down the tile, but from the noise I hear, I don't think they did.  Sad part is I would have paid the extra expense for the cork, oh well.  So now I am trying to figure out a way to relieve the noise from my end.  I too have popcorn ceilings.  My ceiling in about 91/2 feet high.    I read on your chat board about fiberglass.  You also stated that this was something that could be done by a layman (or person).  Can you give me some insite.  I am a pretty handy little gal.  I refinished my hardwood floors by mysel, painted my initire condo so I'm not afraid of a littel challenge, but  I need to do something.  I don't want to sell, but it's looking awful tempting.

Thanks
Arlene

johnbergstromslc

Re: upstair neighbor noise
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 03:38:19 AM »
Arlene:

I have addressed this problem before.  See "ceiling insulation" by fred, 3/21/06 on this page ('condo, townhouse, apartment...').  

Unfortunate you couldn't get them to put down some kind of underlayment.  That would have solved most of the problem.  Now, more radical steps need to be taken.  To have any hope of peace and quiet, you'll have to tear off your ceiling and mount the new drywall resiliently, after insulating.  

Kinda goes beyond 'handy' or 'little challenge'.  It will be a grueling, exhausting, back-breaking job.  You not only have to heave the drywall up to the ceiling, you also have to balance the thing as you work upside down.  I think you will need help.

Cost to do this?  Materials alone will be $ 2.25-3.00 per sq.ft.  Labor and materials together would be about double that.  Underlayment would have been less than a buck.

Arlene Burkett

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 07:09:26 PM »
John

Thank you so much for replying. It was a tough weekend as the girls up stairs were pretty noisey. Anyway  what kind of a contractor would I have to hire. As much as this is going to cost it will be worth every penny  My condo is approx. 649 sq ft. and I would not be doing my bathroom, closet or kitchen so I am hoping that would help keep the cost down.  I am clueless about this kind of thing or to know how to go about finding someone to come in and look at the project and give me a quote.  If you could answer this on last silly question for me I would really appreciate.  And yes, you are right if they had done the right thing it would have saved everyone involved a hole lot of time and money.

thanks
Arlene

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 03:09:56 AM »
You might want to look in the phone book for 'Acoustical Contractors' or 'Acoustical Consultants'.  A lot of those guys just install home theaters (setup, testing, etc..) so if you strike out with both of those 2 categories, call some drywall contractors and ask them if they've ever done acoustics work or worked with resilient channels.  Tell them your problem and see if they know how to fix it.  You'll get an idea whether or not they know what they're talking about.    

anything