Author Topic: Exhaust fans on roof  (Read 3069 times)

Charitos

Exhaust fans on roof
« on: March 27, 2006, 08:57:59 PM »
I bought a new coop apartment in NYC last July. I was very happy and did not experience any noise problem. In October though, I suddenly begin experiencing a constant low frequency hum and vibration throughout my apartment which could be heard and felt through the walls. This goes on 24/7. If you put your ear to the wall you can clearly hear otors rumbling.

Apparently there are at least 4 air exhaust fans sitting right above my head on the roof of the coop. Moreover, and acccording to the super, the ducts running through my apartment have not been insulated at all.

The management company brought in an "acoustic engineer" to recommend a fix. His solution was to "lift" the fans from the roof (or so they say, I never meet the "engineer", saw his report, or have been allowed on the roof to see what they have done). Needless to say the problem continues unabatted.

What can be done? If the contractor refuses to fix anything, are tere solutions I can implement in the apartment myself in order to get some sleep?

Stephane

calmus

Re: Exhaust fans on roof
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 01:34:25 AM »
Hi Stephanie. I'm having the same issues with a condo I bought a couple of years ago, I am in need of help myself. I did buy a sample of a neoprene block about 1" thick and cut it up and put it under the feet of the fans... it did help. I am thinking of buying a sheet of the stuff ( 8' x 4' ) about $200 and laying it under the offending equipment. After this I was going to open the walls and see if I could insulate the pipes and the stuff as much sound proofing material I can in the walls. If it works I'll let you know. I did a google search on sound proofing air conditioning machines.

Good Luck if you find anything out let me know

Simon

See http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/generator.htm  for options!

BJ Nash